Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting duplicates

Can someone please help me because the iTunes website was no help at all.

When looking through my songs in iTunes, I have duplicates & the duplicates have the cloud icon next to them (as seen in the picture below).

User uploaded file

How do I get rid of these? I've tried to delete them, but it doesn't help.

iPhone 3G, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2017 6:03 PM

In some cases iTunes can fail to match a previously purchased and downloaded track in your library with its record of the past purchase, and then show two duplicate items, one of which has the cloud icon. If signing out of the store and signing in again hasn't resolved this then the next approach is to delete all copies of the affected tracks, allowing them to be hidden from the iTunes store, then unhide and redownload. You should then end up with the one copy and no cloud symbol, and the tracks would still be visible to stream to another computer or device that can access your cloud purchases, e.g. Apple TV.

See Hide and unhide iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store purchases - Apple Support.

Both the iTunes Match and Apple Music services may complicate this picture a little.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2017 6:03 PM in response to CrYoG

In some cases iTunes can fail to match a previously purchased and downloaded track in your library with its record of the past purchase, and then show two duplicate items, one of which has the cloud icon. If signing out of the store and signing in again hasn't resolved this then the next approach is to delete all copies of the affected tracks, allowing them to be hidden from the iTunes store, then unhide and redownload. You should then end up with the one copy and no cloud symbol, and the tracks would still be visible to stream to another computer or device that can access your cloud purchases, e.g. Apple TV.

See Hide and unhide iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store purchases - Apple Support.

Both the iTunes Match and Apple Music services may complicate this picture a little.

tt2

Apr 6, 2017 4:46 PM in response to turingtest2

But they do.
As seen in the attached picture; when I right-click a song w/the cloud icon, I see a selection that states "Delete From Library".
Which IS what I want to do.

But then I get a pop-up message stating "This song will be hidden from your iTunes purchases".
I don't want anything 'hidden', I want it DELETED. Can I not do this at all?User uploaded file

Deleting duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.