Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iphone 7 plus is waterproof?

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 6:20 PM

Hello,

No the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus are not waterproof, but they are water and dust resistant.

Apple has made an article on how to prevent water damage, what to do if your iPhone gets wet, and more.

Here's the article:

About iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus splash, water, and dust resistance - Apple Support

25 replies

Jul 9, 2017 7:34 PM in response to Dianatrevi

YES IT IS. my IPhone 7 was submurrsed in at least 2 feet of salt water in the Beaufort River, Beaufort, SC on July 8, 2017.

This was as the result of a boating mishap whereby my boat began taking on water and had to be run up on a sand bar to keep it from sinking. My phone fell in the water at the rear of the boat and remained UNDER WATER for at least 2-3 hours BEFORE I found it. The only protection it had was a soft case with a screen protector.

To to be honest, I was very surprised. I fact, I had already planned to call the insurance company to order a replacement phone. Later in the day, when I heard it accepting a text message, I was astounded.

Now, maybe I was just lucky but it is THE FIRST CELL PHONE IN 25 Years that DID NOT FAIL AFTER GETTING EVEN A LITTLE WET, MUCH LESS BEING UNDER 2 FEET OF SALT WATER FOR PROBABLY 3 HOYRS AND STILL WORKED PERFECTLY !!

Jul 25, 2017 9:31 AM in response to Zorksortronz

From that same article though, note under "usage" that a rating of 7 is for "Rain, splashing and accidental submersion".

It is not intended to imply the device is suitable for deliberate immersion in water, or repeated, deliberate exposures to water. Also note the all important caveat of "up to" 1 meter depth and "up to" 30 minutes. The IP rating system allows for a lot of leeway in testing and meeting each level of IP code.

I am sure this is one of the reasons why Apple still clearly states that any water damage voids the warranty. As some people will insist on using their iPhone as if it were actually waterproof and take it swimming with them, or use it daily in the shower, or other (IMO) silly things to do with an expensive piece of electronics that was never claimed to be suitable for such usage.

Aug 8, 2017 5:38 AM in response to M4haz

M4haz wrote:

Hi there I used my iPhone 7 Plus in the water the phone is definitely water proof I was reluctant to use it but tried it and took loads of unforgettable phones on holiday

Too bad you didn't post one of those wonderful pictures.

Yes, you can get lucky. I've crossed the street when the light was red and have not gotten hit by a bus. That still doesn't make it a sensible thing to do. Should anything in the future go wrong with your phone, and there is evidence that it has gotten wet, Apple has the right to void your warranty.

Oct 29, 2017 2:20 PM in response to Michael Black

My iPhone 7 has been submerged twice in the 12 months since purchased. Firstly dropped in the kitchen sink whilst dishwashing and retrieved in about 5 seconds. Shook Phone dry and placed in hot dry boiler cupboard with no noticeable effect. (Other than my heart rate).

Holidayed in Eilat, Israel lest week and forgot Phone was in the pocket of my swimming shorts for reef snorkelling off the beach. So, at least 20 minutes in the Red Sea including maybe 5 dives of about 3 metres 30 sec to 1 minute long.

On returning to my sun lounger And realising it was in my pocket i fished it out with a heavy heart. Convinced my phone would have drowned.

Happily I was amazed to find it working perfectly after leaving it it to sun-bake for 10 minutes and am writing this now on said handset 4 days later.

Lucky so far to say the least. Is there internal water damage? Time will tell but so far my iPhone7 is out-performing my intellect.

The iphone 7 plus is waterproof?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.