Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv 3 and homekit

Apple TV 3 has stopped working remotely with home kit

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 9:44 AM

Hi egumms43,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the Apple TV (3rd generation) is not working remotely with HomeKit anymore. If it is not working remotely, there could be a few things causing this. Have you added an Apple TV (4th generation)​ to be used with HomeKit? I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue. ​

1. Make sure that your Apple TV or iPad is:
  2. Make sure that you can control your accessories in the Home app on your iOS device. Open the Home app and turn on a light or change the temperature.
  3. Make sure that your device is set up as a home hub:
    • On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud and make sure that your Apple TV shows HomeKit as Connected. If you don’t see HomeKit, then your Apple TV isn't connected as a home hub.
    • On your iPad, go to Settings > Home and make sure that Use this iPad as a Home Hub is turned on.
  4. Restart your Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone.
  5. Wait a few minutes. If you still need help, sign out of iCloud on your Apple TV, then sign back in. Go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud.

If you have an Apple TV (3rd generation)*, you can control your HomeKit accessories in the Home app while you’re away from your home. To change user permissions, create automations, or stream HomeKit-enabled cameras remotely, you need an Apple TV (4th generation). If you add an Apple TV (4th generation) to a home that has an Apple TV (3rd generation) set up, the Apple TV (3rd generation) will stop being used for HomeKit remote access.

Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories

Cheers.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2017 9:44 AM in response to egumms43

Hi egumms43,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems like the Apple TV (3rd generation) is not working remotely with HomeKit anymore. If it is not working remotely, there could be a few things causing this. Have you added an Apple TV (4th generation)​ to be used with HomeKit? I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue. ​

1. Make sure that your Apple TV or iPad is:
  2. Make sure that you can control your accessories in the Home app on your iOS device. Open the Home app and turn on a light or change the temperature.
  3. Make sure that your device is set up as a home hub:
    • On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud and make sure that your Apple TV shows HomeKit as Connected. If you don’t see HomeKit, then your Apple TV isn't connected as a home hub.
    • On your iPad, go to Settings > Home and make sure that Use this iPad as a Home Hub is turned on.
  4. Restart your Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone.
  5. Wait a few minutes. If you still need help, sign out of iCloud on your Apple TV, then sign back in. Go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud.

If you have an Apple TV (3rd generation)*, you can control your HomeKit accessories in the Home app while you’re away from your home. To change user permissions, create automations, or stream HomeKit-enabled cameras remotely, you need an Apple TV (4th generation). If you add an Apple TV (4th generation) to a home that has an Apple TV (3rd generation) set up, the Apple TV (3rd generation) will stop being used for HomeKit remote access.

Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories

Cheers.

Mar 5, 2018 7:33 AM in response to JahmanSK

I'm experiencing the same issues. In the Home app, I have an Apple TV 4 as 'Connected', another Apple TV 4 and iPad as 'Standby' and an Apple TV 3 that says 'Disabled'. The reason why I need this ATV3 to work is so I can extend the range of my Schlage Smart Sense lock.

I also have 2FA-enabled.

Hopefully Apple can give an official workaround and update their documentation about using ATV3 as a Home Hub.

Jul 3, 2017 8:52 AM in response to Teddy_B

My homekit remote access stopped working suddenly also.

The really frustraing thing, in your response and on the apple support pages, is that the hierarchy you mentioned:

settings>accounts>icloud

does not even exist on atv3 ( at least not on mine)

How can we have any faith in support responses that are just inaccurate.

Ive now wasted hours on this, with no way to see homekit status on my atv3 and a festure that used to work all the time completely disabled.

Jul 4, 2017 9:10 AM in response to scott M

While it seems like there is no way to check home kit hub status on the apple tv 3rd generation ( even though the apple support page says there is), I was able to restore remote access.

I rebooted my router (and also my modem) and that seemed to clear up the problem. I now have remote access to my homekit again.

worth a try if you are experiencing difficulties.

apple tv 3 and homekit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.