Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rename a Marked Location in Maps?

Opened Apple Maps on my MacBook Pro. Visually navigate to a spot and drop a pin (now they're no longer called "Dropped Pins," they're called "Marked Locations."). Apple used to be intuitive: I should be able to double-click the Marked Locations name and rename it, either before saving as a Favorite, in which case the act of renaming would also make it a favorite, or after making it a favorite. Nope that doesn't work. Surely it will be in the menu items, or accessible from the Info screen when clicking that Pin. But no. Seems like Apple must've been hiring some Microsoft programmers who don't understand us creatives (yes - I'm adding snarky sarcasm).

I saw an online note to change it in the bookmarks, yet the only bookmarks I find are in Safari. No pins there. And where do I find the Map Favorites, anyway? Not any of the pull-down menu items, as expected. Ugh.

I'm sure it'll end up being very simple. Can anyone guide me, please? Thank you.

Posted on Mar 28, 2017 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2017 9:15 PM

Well, searching further, I found a partial answer. Would not have guessed:

1. Drop a pin.
  2. Click on the Pin, then click the 'i' (for Information)
  3. Click on Add Favorite (note the default name)
  4. Click off the info panel.
  5. Click on the search spyglass in Maps, then Favorites.
  6. Click edit, then on the name of the favourite you just added.
  7. Overtype the new name.
  8. Click Done.

The problem is that the new name isn't retained when you quit and reopen Maps. Tried several times. No luck. Ideas?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2017 9:15 PM in response to D. Scott

Well, searching further, I found a partial answer. Would not have guessed:

1. Drop a pin.
  2. Click on the Pin, then click the 'i' (for Information)
  3. Click on Add Favorite (note the default name)
  4. Click off the info panel.
  5. Click on the search spyglass in Maps, then Favorites.
  6. Click edit, then on the name of the favourite you just added.
  7. Overtype the new name.
  8. Click Done.

The problem is that the new name isn't retained when you quit and reopen Maps. Tried several times. No luck. Ideas?

How do I rename a Marked Location in Maps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.