Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Maps doesn't speak directions

The Maps program on my iPhone 5s, with the latest OS, speaks the first direction and then is silent. You can't drive and read the directions on the phone.

Posted on Mar 28, 2017 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2017 4:07 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Stiegy.
If I understand your post correctly, the Maps app doesn't speak directions after you start out on a route. That would make it difficult to follow directions while driving. I'd like to help.
Try these steps:

User uploaded file

Manage your Navigation Voice settings

When you use Maps on your iPhone or iPad that's connected to a Bluetooth accessory in your vehicle, you can access and manage your Navigation Voice settings. For example, you can turn your music down and hear Navigation Voice prompts through your stereo speakers and turn-by-turn directions on your iPhone or iPad. To manage these settings, follow these steps:

1. Open Maps on your iPhone or iPad and enter your destination.
  2. After you tap User uploaded file to get directions, swipe up on the Route Card.
  3. Tap Audio.
  4. Tap the volume level that you want for Navigation Voice.

You can also control settings to pause the audio during navigation or control the audio output
from your iPhone or iPad. When audio plays, the audio output can only be managed from Control Center on your iPhone or iPad.

For more information, see the full article here: Use Maps and Bluetooth on your iPhone and iPad
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2017 4:07 PM in response to Stiegy

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Stiegy.
If I understand your post correctly, the Maps app doesn't speak directions after you start out on a route. That would make it difficult to follow directions while driving. I'd like to help.
Try these steps:

User uploaded file

Manage your Navigation Voice settings

When you use Maps on your iPhone or iPad that's connected to a Bluetooth accessory in your vehicle, you can access and manage your Navigation Voice settings. For example, you can turn your music down and hear Navigation Voice prompts through your stereo speakers and turn-by-turn directions on your iPhone or iPad. To manage these settings, follow these steps:

1. Open Maps on your iPhone or iPad and enter your destination.
  2. After you tap User uploaded file to get directions, swipe up on the Route Card.
  3. Tap Audio.
  4. Tap the volume level that you want for Navigation Voice.

You can also control settings to pause the audio during navigation or control the audio output
from your iPhone or iPad. When audio plays, the audio output can only be managed from Control Center on your iPhone or iPad.

For more information, see the full article here: Use Maps and Bluetooth on your iPhone and iPad
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

May 9, 2017 4:11 PM in response to darren.s

Sorry it took so ling to reply. This was helpful but the problem was our radio. If we plug into the usb port to keep the phone charged it try to connect thru bluetooth, but the radio wasn't triggered, so we got nothing. It started working last time out. Not sure why, but it has to do with setting the radio correctly. Thanks again.

Dan

iPhone Maps doesn't speak directions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.