Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV 2 step authentication login loop

I have the last model ATV, specifically:

Model A1469

ATV Software 7.2.2 (8015)

After installing OSX 10.12.4 my ATV wont authenticate --- it is stuck in a login loop.

Steps to reproduce.

1/ Navigate to purchases on ATV.

2/ ATV presents iTunes store login.

3/ Submit Apple ID.

4/ Submit password.

5/ OS X receives "Your Apple ID is being used to sign in to a new device" and issues code.

6/ Enter login code.

7/ Authenticating.

8/ Returns to 3.

This is infuriating. I am locked out from watching content I paid for while illegally obtained media would play instantly.

Apple TV (3rd generation), 7.2.2 (8015)

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 8:00 PM

Hi. This nuisance has been around for a while, but more users are experiencing it as Apple tricks them into enabling 2-factor authentication. Try the procedure described in this link: Re: appleTV keeps asking for appleID, password and authentication code circularly. The trick is to get the code and be ready to enter it promptly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2017 8:00 PM in response to Vrbatim

Hi. This nuisance has been around for a while, but more users are experiencing it as Apple tricks them into enabling 2-factor authentication. Try the procedure described in this link: Re: appleTV keeps asking for appleID, password and authentication code circularly. The trick is to get the code and be ready to enter it promptly.

Mar 29, 2017 8:25 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Thank you. Appending the last generated pass-key to the password entry worked.

I have a PhD in computer science and would have never figured this out on my own. How on earth are "regular" users supposed to resolve this.

Apple really needs to get it's ducks in order. Their cloud services in particular break more often than they work.

Jul 20, 2017 6:55 PM in response to Vrbatim

Thanks so much for posting this solution! I used this to fix my issue while waiting on hold for Apple support. I had it fixed a few seconds before the support tech answered. I explained that I thought they needed to work on this issue to make it more intuitive, but got the strong impression that Apple doesn't see this as a problem. Too bad. They have good products, but their strength has always in making them intuitive....doesn't bode well for them that they don't see this as an issue. Maybe they could find a way for me to use CNTRL-ALT-DELETE to make it work.

ATV 2 step authentication login loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.