Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Icon in Menu Bar

I have recently upgraded successfully from Snow Leopard to El Capitan and until then the backward facing arrow on the small clock icon denoting time machine's backup ran backwards when I was backing up. However now the icon remains static so can't check quickly whether my backup is happening. I see it in Finder as a device and a backward arrow. So how do I get my icon to work in the menu bar? Hoping someone can help.

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 11:44 AM

Thanks for your input. As I updated directly to EC from SL I missed out the change from an active icon to an inactive. Clearly now I will have to open Finder to check that the TM is doing its bit. Thanks once again for you help guys. Send-w

6 replies

Mar 29, 2017 7:37 AM in response to send-w

send-w wrote:

However now the icon remains static so can't check quickly whether my backup is happening. I see it in Finder as a device and a backward arrow. So how do I get my icon to work in the menu bar?

The animation of the Time Machine icon changed (stopped animating) I think starting with Mavericks (10.9). There is no fix for this.

Besides what dialabrain mentioned for Finder, the double arrow (non-animation) in the Time Machine icon in the menu bar is the only other way to know a back up is currently in progress.

Time Machine Icon in Menu Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.