Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are "apps" only for mobile phones or can they be used on a MacBook Air?

Recently an internet radio provider said that for more reliable reception they suggest that one download their app.

I only have a MacBook Air (mid 2013) as my access to the internet.

When I asked if the app for this provider could be used with this equipment they said, no - only on a mobile phone.

Are all the apps in the Mac App Store, only for use on mobile phones?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Memory4GB1600MHz,Processor1.3GHz

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 12:29 PM

Apps from the Mac App Store App are for use on Mac computers only. If its in the Mac App Store App it works on a Mac, and would not work on a mobile device.

Apps from the iTunes/iOS App Store are for use on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches only. Apps for these devices would not appear in the Mac App Store App.

If the Radio station does not make an App for Mac, then the only choice would be to listen to them thorugh their website if they offer streaming there.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2017 12:29 PM in response to allan299

Apps from the Mac App Store App are for use on Mac computers only. If its in the Mac App Store App it works on a Mac, and would not work on a mobile device.

Apps from the iTunes/iOS App Store are for use on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches only. Apps for these devices would not appear in the Mac App Store App.

If the Radio station does not make an App for Mac, then the only choice would be to listen to them thorugh their website if they offer streaming there.

Are "apps" only for mobile phones or can they be used on a MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.