Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remember Playback Position

Since updating to iOS 10.3, audio files on my iPod will not remember their playback position. I have the file ticked in iTunes on the Mac to "Remember Playback Position," but it's not remembering it on the iPod touch.

I've tried unticking and reticking the checkbox in iTunes and syncing. No dice.

iPod touch (6th generation), iOS 10.3, 32GB

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 7:23 PM

12 replies

Apr 6, 2017 5:46 AM in response to Andrew Lamont

So I backed up my iphone 6+ locally with itunes and wiped my phone. When I went to restore it, itunes asked for my password (backup encrypted) and it runs about 50% through the restore and then said corrupted or incompatible backup and fails. I then had to buy a 3rd party utility to pull the pictures from my encrypted backup. The things I could not restore were icon layout, passwords for all apps, stored data for apps, etc etc etc. All in all about a 3 hour ordeal to kind of get me back to where I was before the wipe.

My guess is something in the backup was bad and itunes just stops without giving you the option to skip the restore of only the bad data on the backup. The 3rd party app skipped the bad data but it only saves data to the hard drive and won't put it back on the phone.

Anyway, all in an effort to get resume working on the phone when playing long tracks I lost about 3 hours and here is the kicker - resume still does not work.

I suggest to others to also back up to icloud and local so you have 2 different types of backups before wiping your phone to fix this problem.

Jun 1, 2017 6:49 AM in response to Andrew Lamont

Still happening for me. Done a full restore as a new iPhone (6) and it was no better. Done a full restore again against the new back up ....... still rubbish. It's just one of those fiddly things that is doing my head in as I drive quite a bit for work and the playback position thing was a God send ....... so very annoying that it now doesn't work.

Just started looking at new phones too, not the best timing for Apple & my wallet to be clashing!!

Jun 9, 2017 10:00 AM in response to GaryWAWAW

On my phone at least, I discovered exactly what the problem is. When I use Siri to access my music library, it breaks the Remember the Playback Position functionality. I can use Siri to do other things, like tell me the time or the weather. But the instant I ask Siri to play a song or shuffle a playlist, the problem appears. Resetting my phone clears the condition. And thus far, it has not failed again as long as don't use Siri to play my music.

Any suggestions for reporting this bug to Apple? Never given them this kind of feedback before.

Nov 16, 2017 5:46 PM in response to Timmy Butler

Thank you SO much for posting this. You just saved me HOURS and probably my sanity! I often choose to play my entire library (or an entire playlist or artist's catalogue) on shuffle.

Just got a new iphone 6 and suddenly the resume play stopped working.

Did a reset and boom! Resume play resumed!

I will remember NOT to use Siri to try to access music, which definitely was the issue.

Thanks again Timmy Butler!

Remember Playback Position

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.