Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated: "Safari web content quit unexpectedly"; no crash, but repetitious after Safari 10.1 Install

Hello.

[ Machine data below — a lot ]

I am a becoming-disenfranchised Apple customer ( mid 90's).

Currently: MBP Late 2011, El Capitan. The data below given with marginal intelligence is what I presume (may) be needed to address my query. Would you please?

As the subject indicates only subsequent to the Safari 10.1 uodate [ from 10.0.3 ] — not ever previously — has Safari begin to repetitiously emit that message: "Safari web content quit unexpectedly".

This may have come when I tried:

1.) To produce a PDF print

2.) To print from a page . . . ,

but memory fails on that point. The "message box" appeared, but Safari did NOT crash/quit, nor even require a restart. The "window" [ message box ] appeared two or three time, successively, & within minutes AFTER THE INSTALL OF THE UPDATE.

I found the ERROR distressing & sought immediately for resolution. I do not know how to rememedy this. What I did discover seemed laborious &, yet, another, "fix" to labour through on this temperamental machine.

This, for one:

http://appletoolbox.com/2015/10/mac-safari-web-content-quit-unexpectedly-error-f ix/

& another even more comprehensive, & professional suggestion, from a person on these forums with numerous dots & a lot of good advice. [ I do not know if names can be posted. ]

I have, however, taken this machine "in" for remedies that the machine should never have had [ track pad failures, keyboard, screen, &c. ] & had done many "reinstalls" on this box & former ones when beneath Yosemite.

IN BRIEF:

I did not fix "it". I just resigned & downloaded Firefox & it does NOT COMPARE!

Thus, I am here posting for a kind reply that may portend that Apple DOES has a fix for this that DOES NOT require an extensive removal of Safari items hidden in the bowels of this MBP, nor to reinstall the OS, nor to hire service, nor any such labour! It was an Apple install — that should not cause my machine to behave erraticallly!

That is, of course, merely opinion. The problem remains:

"Safari web content quit unexpectedly". ONLY subsequent to Safari 10.1 install, which, of course, I could not simply replace with the backed-up version of 10.0.3 . . . all other detail above & below. If any one has solution — other than rebuilding my machine's software from the OS up, please advise.

Thank you!

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B2D

SMC Version (system): 1.69f4

Hardware UUID: 4955AAF0-4AC7-5434-A15E-BC5F0A7B114E

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6741

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573

gMux Version: 1.9.23

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 512 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0116

Revision ID: 0x0009

gMux Version: 1.9.23

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel

Product: 6 Series Chipset

Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Physical Interconnect: SATA

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

ST1000LM014-1EJ164:

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)

Model: ST1000LM014-1EJ164

Revision: SM36

Serial Number: W772LE3R

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Rotational Rate: 5400

Medium Type: Rotational

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

EFI:

Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s1

Content: EFI

Volume UUID: 0E239BC6-F960-3107-89CF-1C97F78BB46B

disk0s2:

Capacity: 999.35 GB (999,345,127,424 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s2

Content: Apple_CoreStorage

Recovery HD:

Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s3

Content: Apple_Boot

Volume UUID: F5CDA880-FA23-331C-AEC6-FF7228A2D60F

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel

Product: 6 Series Chipset

Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit

Physical Interconnect: SATA

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-8A8:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-8A8

Revision: HB14

Serial Number: D02147308BXDTL7AR

Native Command Queuing: No

Detachable Drive: No

Power Off: Yes

Async Notification: No

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 22ghz, Intel i7, 16gb ram

Posted on Mar 30, 2017 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2017 1:18 PM

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

If that doesn't work, try running this program in your normal account , then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2017 1:18 PM in response to RobertJBoren

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

If that doesn't work, try running this program in your normal account , then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Apr 2, 2017 8:19 PM in response to Eric Root

Hello, Eric Root, et al.

The "message-window" exampled in the uploaded jpg, which though recurred, again, today [ as noted at the END of the "Web Content Crash Report | 2Apr17 - 194922" ] DOES NOT EVER CRASH SAFARI. I merely get the "message". Nothing quits — NOR — freezes, yet; seems almost innocuous — almost.

User uploaded file

Examining more closely your first suggestion/s [ paragraph #1 ]; negatively or not: I perform those wipes on Safari, regularly. Paranoia? Yes. The only item in those folders I stopped trashing were the 'Safe Browsing' cookies because that caused some related NONSENSE via Google.

======================================

NEXT, the EtreCheck report. Downloaded that tonight.

(Note: I tried a minute back to load the EtreCheck report & the "latest" Web Content Crash report, but this site rejected one of the other, OR BOTH, predicated on "invalid characters". If THISEtreCheck report takes I shal next try to upload the crash report.)

EtreCheck version: 3.1.5 (343)

Report generated 2017-04-02 22:22:41

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com Runtime 1:50

Performance: Excellent

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products. Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: No problem - just checking

Hardware Information: i

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service] MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro8,2

1 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-2675QM) CPU: 4-core

16 GB RAM Upgradeable - [Instructions]

BANK 0/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 48

Video Information: i

Intel HD Graphics 3000 Color LCD 1440 x 900

AMD Radeon HD 6750M - VRAM: 512 MB

System Software: i

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1421) - Time since boot: about 5 hours

Disk Information: i

ST1000LM014-1EJ164 disk0 : (1 TB) (Rotational) [Show SMART report]

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB [redacted] (disk1) / [Startup]: 998.97 GB (824.11 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 999.35 GB Online MATSHITADVD-R UJ-8A8 ()

USB Information: i

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Thunderbolt Information: i Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: i Anywhere

System Launch Agents: i

[not loaded] 8 Apple tasks [loaded] 161 Apple tasks [running] 70 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons: i

[not loaded] 47 Apple tasks [loaded] 160 Apple tasks [running] 83 Apple tasks

Launch Daemons: i

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (2017-02-28) [Support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist (2017-02-01) [Support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper.plist (2016-04-11) [Support]

User Login Items: i

iTunesHelper Application (2017-03-28)

(/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Internet Plug-ins: i

FlashPlayer-10.6: 25.0.0.127 - SDK 10.9 (2017-03-29) [Support] QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (2017-03-28)

Flash Player: 25.0.0.127 - SDK 10.9 (2017-03-29) [Support] JavaAppletPlugin: 15.0.1 - SDK 10.7 (2017-01-26) Check version Default Browser: 601 - SDK 10.11 (2017-01-14)

3rd Party Preference Panes: i

Flash Player (2017-02-28) [Support]

Time Machine: i

Mobile backups: OFF

Auto backup: NO - Auto backup turned off Volumes being backed up:

RobertJohnBoren: Disk size: 998.97 GB Disk used: 174.86 GB Destinations:

Hades [Local]

Total size: 3.00 TB

Total number of backups: 8 Oldest backup: 18/06/2016, 19:49 Last backup: 28/02/2017, 04:07

Size of backup disk: Excellent

Backup size 3.00 TB > (Disk size 998.97 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: i

7% WindowServer 2% kernel_task 1% fontd

0% mds_stores 0% hidd

Top Processes by Memory: i

1.05 GB 475 MB 131 MB 115 MB 98 MB

kernel_task softwareupdated mdworker(8) mds_stores DashboardClient(2)

Virtual Memory Information: i

12.57 GB 6.86 GB 3.43 GB 5.70 GB 0 B

Diagnostics Information: i

Apr 2, 2017, 07:49:22 PM com.apple.WebKit.WebContent_2017-04-02-194922_[redacted].cras h

/System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/ Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent.xpc/ Contents/MacOS/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

Apr 2, 2017, 04:40:12 PM Self test - passed

Available RAM Free RAM Used RAM Cached files

Swap Used

~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Apr 1, 2017, 11:18:07 PM ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ com.apple.WebKit.WebContent_2017-04-01-231807_[redacted].crash

Apr 5, 2017 11:10 AM in response to BobHarris

Thank you! Mr. Harris.

( I thought I may have lost your feedback when I consolidated my "posts".)

I think I know what the forums are NOT a place for, but I am, also, a bit irregular (if you would) & get rather uneasy about things.

I thought such a deletion might have killed all interaction.

I went to Firefox, but I am using, again, Safari as default.

Safari does not successively register the "Loss of Web Content" for all pages; it is rare & never crashes or quits, freezes, &c.

I WILL GET TO THOSE OTHER STEPS:

• Safe Mode
  • Safari 'Corruption' (e.g., Linc Davis)

The action & the steps may take me a bit longer to fulfill; notably the muti-level process of purging, which Linc Davis noted. I have printed that text & shall involve his purge. Yet, as by "irregular" I fulfill objectives, perhaps, a bit more slowly than the speed of society in the U.S; or the speed of technology that raised it.

I, therefore, apologize for anything overly 'personal' mentioned, yet I have a responsibility to explain something to the people who are commenting to my post & trying to help expressly so that those individuals [ yourself & Eric Root ] would not think me to disregard the help.

I am just slower to get them accomplished.

Thank you.

—RJB

Mar 30, 2017 3:38 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, Mr. Root for your reply & effort.

Yes, Linc Davis, was the man I referred to in my post, but was not named. I see his replies everywhere; he is a pillar around here so it seems. You may be, as well.

IN ANSWER TO "SOLVED" OR NOT:

I will attempt all suggestions / steps / proceedures indicated or referenced in your reply & LD's: SOON, but can not today [ 30Mar17 ]. Once I do . . . I WILL report back here of the success —OR— failure; & will, also, note, via the email whether the same qualified as "helpful" or "solved".

Apr 4, 2017 8:29 PM in response to Eric Root

Hello, once more, Mr. Root, A/C Forum . . .

With all due respect to yourself, & this forum: my leaving that "Pastebin" link open (last post; 3Apr17 ~ 14:59) & the data, therein, broadly available to the public (within these forums) — if as predicated on Pastebin's caution that private data should not be uploaded, & myself being ignorant of how much of the Web Content Crash Report factually is private — I removed that post from Pastebin.

The data could be uploaded, again, & of course I apologize if you had not yet reviewed that data.

For the interim — my self presuming that this post may have been abandoned to any further reply (erroneously, or not) I proceeded. If this complicates matters, do please accept my apologies; elsewise, "prudence" (personally recognized as: idiosyncratic circumspection) directed me to remove the Pastebin data.

Apr 5, 2017 6:00 AM in response to RobertJBoren

It is perfectly OK to remove the PasteBin information, however, you should be aware that the EtreCheck output is sanitized (the term 'Redacted' is substituted where appropriate) of any personal information.

Again, it is fine that you deleted the PasteBin page. I'm just trying to reassure you that you did not expose anything sensitive about your Mac or its contents.

Apr 7, 2017 3:10 PM in response to RobertJBoren

I have an iMac with Sierra 10.12.4 and had same problem of Safari closing unexpectedly whenever asked to print. Used Apple Chat and deleted Cache, Cookies, and reinstalled MacOS in recovery mode to no avail. Had also updated printer software from its site.

Found another discussion that seemed to fix it: from upper left "Apple Symbol, select System Preferences. Then select Printers & Scanners. Then right click on the listed printer printer and select Reset Printing System. Any customizations to the printer may be lost, but can now print from Safari.

Apr 12, 2017 9:04 PM in response to RobertJBoren

Wow, Robert - certainly is a commendably thorough description of both your issue & your environment!

This issue has already been reported in slightly different forms already, so you might want to try a "simple" fix which has helped others, before attempting sny more-draconian suggestions:

Change your Display Pref. ColorSync profile to something other than the currently active one (Generic RGB if it's an option). You may need to un-check "show profiles for this display only" to see all available.

Please post your results to this thread, if you do try this suggestion.

T.I.A.

Repeated: "Safari web content quit unexpectedly"; no crash, but repetitious after Safari 10.1 Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.