Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text overlay on picture in iMovie

Hi, I am creating an iMovie of about 60 images for someone's farewell. On the last picture I want to overlay some text, but cannot figure out how to do this.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

A

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 512GB flash storage; 8GB RAM

Posted on Mar 30, 2017 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 12:07 AM

The only way to add text within iMovie is to use a title. The centered title works pretty well as it has no animation and is centered. You can change the font, size, color etc. in the tool bar. If you need more flexibility then you need to use a photo editing app external to iMovie and import the modified photo into iMovie.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2017 12:07 AM in response to Alex in devon

The only way to add text within iMovie is to use a title. The centered title works pretty well as it has no animation and is centered. You can change the font, size, color etc. in the tool bar. If you need more flexibility then you need to use a photo editing app external to iMovie and import the modified photo into iMovie.

Mar 31, 2017 12:08 AM in response to Alex in devon

Hi, Alex,

Jim Wanamaker has it right. You can overlay text by clicking on Titles and dragging a title of your choice into the timeline above your picture.

User uploaded file

Another way to do it is, before you drag the picture into your time line, open it in Preview and select Tools/Annotate/Text. Then add your text and import the picture into iMovie.

-- Rich

Text overlay on picture in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.