Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the new iPad have GPS?

Does the new iPad Wi-Fi (not cellular, iPad6,11, A1822) have GPS?

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2017 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2017 4:23 PM

As with all iPads, yes, the wifi+cellular model includes GPS. The wifi only model does not.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/specs/

11 replies

Oct 25, 2017 1:08 PM in response to Loco

Yes, aGPS includes a full and proper GPS receiver and system. As long as the device has a clear unobstructed view of the open sky, it requires neither a cellular nor a wifi connection to get an accurate location from satellites alone.

Of course, if the map or loacation software you use requires an internet connection to get display data, that’s an entirely different issue. But offline nav apps work fine with no connection (I use City Maps To Go on my iPad at times, with airplane mode on).

Oct 26, 2017 7:59 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you Michael for your help. After I spoke with an Apple Sales rep, he threw a wrench into the works. He stated I needed an initial Wi-Fi connection if I wasn't activating cell service for the iPad to "find" itself. That didn't make much sense to me either. I'm glad I verified with folks who have the working knowledge of the subject

I'm going with your experience and knowledge on this. What you said has been backed up with folks here on the discussion group.

Many thanks to all others who helped me. I'm going with the cellular/GPS chip option.

Oct 26, 2017 2:44 PM in response to Loco

You will need a wifi connection to initially activate the iPad. That has absolutely nothing to do with aGPS nor iOS location services. Every single iOS device must be activated to use and that requires an internet connection. If not using cellular, you will have to use wifi.

Again, none if this has anything to do with location services and using aGPS without a wifi or cellular or BT connection.

The aGPS system in an iPhone or wifi+cellular iPad is a fully featured GPS system and all it needs to get a location is a clear view of the sky and the GPS satellites overhead.

Having a wifi or cellular connection merely speeds up an initial location fix, or provides approximate location inside buildings or elsewhere the device cannot receive satellite timing signals.

Does the new iPad have GPS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.