Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID email and rescue email?

I am trying to set up a friend's new Apple ID but I am confused.

When I try to create a new Apple ID I get this message.

User uploaded file

and

User uploaded file

So I need another email address first? Like a yahoo.com email?

So what is the RESCUE email address?

What do I need to create an Apple ID?

It must be easy. What am I missing?

Thanks.

====

Apple ID email address

This is the email address you use with your password when signing in to any Apple service. It’s also the primary email address on your account.

Posted on Mar 30, 2017 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 12:52 AM

From the website, you can't set up an @icloud email address.

You must use system preferences in OSX. Sign out of your current Apple ID.

Then via the iCloud icon, select Create Apple ID

User uploaded file

Then if you have a 3rd party email address you want to use as an Apple ID, use it. If you want an iCloud email address, select Create a Free iCloud Email Address and set that up first. The setup will loop back after that is done.

User uploaded file

The caveat on using an @icloud email for your Apple ID? You can't ever change that email address associated with your Apple ID. If you ever forget your Apple ID password, you've also forgotten your email password and will have to contact Apple to reset it. You can't self serve your password.

So, yes, you can get by with a single email address. i.e.: something @icloud.com

For best flexibility, you "should" have at least 2. A rescue email allows more options if you need help with password and security question resets.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2017 12:52 AM in response to Michael Vallance

From the website, you can't set up an @icloud email address.

You must use system preferences in OSX. Sign out of your current Apple ID.

Then via the iCloud icon, select Create Apple ID

User uploaded file

Then if you have a 3rd party email address you want to use as an Apple ID, use it. If you want an iCloud email address, select Create a Free iCloud Email Address and set that up first. The setup will loop back after that is done.

User uploaded file

The caveat on using an @icloud email for your Apple ID? You can't ever change that email address associated with your Apple ID. If you ever forget your Apple ID password, you've also forgotten your email password and will have to contact Apple to reset it. You can't self serve your password.

So, yes, you can get by with a single email address. i.e.: something @icloud.com

For best flexibility, you "should" have at least 2. A rescue email allows more options if you need help with password and security question resets.

Mar 31, 2017 1:10 AM in response to LACAllen

Thank you very much.

re. From the website, you can't set up an @icloud email address.

You must use system preferences in OSX.

I did not know that. The iCloud website is worded similar to System Preferences, so I assumed I could create an Apple only account via the iCloud website.

User uploaded file

My friend only wants an Apple account and not Google (don't trust, apparently) or Yahoo (soon to disappear like its Geocities, apparently).

😝

Mar 30, 2017 8:04 PM in response to Michael Vallance

You can set up an iCloud.com email address as a new Apple ID if you go to an iOS device and then go to Settings>iCloud, and make sure no one is signed on. In that situation, you will see the option to set up a free Apple iCloud ID. So, that is the one place you can actually create an "Apple-domain" ID.

Once you make the Apple account's primary email address an Apple domain ID (@me, @mac, or @iCloud), you cannot change it.

Your rescue email address would be another address that you have access to so you can get a reset link if you forget your passcode and your security questions.

If you have more than one Apple device, I would highly recommend looking into Two-Step or Two-Factor verification since no security questions are involved. However, if you must be very diligent about keeping your Recovery Key with Two-Step or you will lose access altogether if you can't verify any other way.

And I understand that the Recovery process for Two-Factor can be painstakingly long, so you want to make sure that you have trusted devices and at least one SMS line that you can get a code at. As long as you have that, you will be good to go.

TWO STEP VERIFICATION

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Mar 30, 2017 7:56 PM in response to Michael Vallance

An Apple ID must be the user's email address. This would be your friend's email address. The address must already exist. The Rescue email address must be a valid email address that the user has as a secondary address.

Address for Apple ID = my.name@domain.com

Rescue Email Adress = email2@fmail.com

Of course, you will use the appropriate addresses for your friend.

Mar 30, 2017 10:52 PM in response to gail from maine

Thank you for the replies.

My friend does not have an iPhone /iOS device. I am setting up for him from my own Mac hence using iCloud via Safari.

re: An Apple ID must be the user's email address. This would be your friend's email address. The address must already exist. The Rescue email address must be a valid email address that the user has as a secondary address.

So basically you are saying a new 'Apple-wanabee-user' needs to have 2 "other" emails before he can start using Apple's services?

(1) email such as Gmail to create an Apple ID

(2) email such as Yahoo Mail as rescue mail.

Then when he gets an Apple ID he will have Apple Mail (xxxx@icloud.com).

Total of 3 email accounts.

He is a new Internet user.

He can't simply only sign up with Apple?

Really?

Apple ID email and rescue email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.