Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download all your iCloud photos

I used to just be able to log in to iCloud, Shift+click to select all my photos, and download them all at once. There seems to be a new iCloud interface since I last logged in that prohibits the shift+click option, meaning I would have to command+click each individual photo to select them all at once. This is horribly inconvenient, as I have thousands of photos I want to download from iCloud onto my external hard drive. How can I highlight all photos at once in a manner that won't take me 45 minutes? Seems silly that they would make the interface less convenient this way.

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 1:30 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately my photos are scattered among hundreds of different moments, so this isn't much help. Seems odd that they would change a feature that afforded such convenience to where it's now very inconvenient. I sent feedback. That can't be the first time someone has complained about it, though.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2017 1:30 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks. Unfortunately my photos are scattered among hundreds of different moments, so this isn't much help. Seems odd that they would change a feature that afforded such convenience to where it's now very inconvenient. I sent feedback. That can't be the first time someone has complained about it, though.

Jun 5, 2017 9:51 AM in response to applequestions123456789

This appears to be a deliberate strategy. Judging from the various comments, every method for downloading multiple photos -- 'download all', 'shift-click' -- has been progressively eliminated over the past year or two. The result is that if a user values his or her photos, he or she will never be able to walk away from iCloud without going through the horribly arduous task of downloading each photo one by one. I personally have over 8,000 photos in iCloud, which I just assumed I could download when I felt the need. Apparently not. Caveat emptor.

Jun 8, 2017 8:40 AM in response to drbill001

I agree. I suspect that apple is controlling users (anyone surprised) in an effort to get them to download the icloud app so apple (not you lowly user) can manage all of your photos. Then, when you pass the lowly 5 GB of free storage, they can charge you for more. I'm not doing it. I'm moving everything to onedrive - free 1 TB of data... If it weren't for my wife's love of all things apple, I'd dump the whole company... Not a fan.

Mar 31, 2017 1:20 PM in response to applequestions123456789

That was changed, as you have discovered. Try selecting a Moment, then click the Share icon, and then cancel the Share. Supposedly that will select all the photos in the Moment.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Feedback

Jun 15, 2017 1:09 AM in response to kazb75

thank you sooo much! i was just trying to do this the old way and googled how to saw this thread read it - and your link rocks! my photos are downloading ALL now and quick (2,300) im a photographer so doing it one by one STINKS! thank you so much! they really need to bring the old option back or have a SELECT ALL DOWNLOAD BOOM lol thanks again a ton! i can now clear alot from my phone to save more photos <3

Sep 7, 2017 9:52 AM in response to applequestions123456789

This is a great question. Its incredibly frustrating having apple disable options for your own content. Manually clicking on thousands of photos is an archaic process and such a waste of time. What a crapy way of forcing a customers hand to buy more storage. Why would anyone want to upgrade their storage if they can't choose what to do with the things they store. If "download all" isn't an option... apple is effectively holding our content hostage while asking for more money.

Bad design. Bad business plan.

Download all your iCloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.