Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule airport speed issues with 5ghz

Hey Apple family

Tonight we upgraded to 300mb internet, we had 100mb and found that our apple devices were not getting the full speed, so we invested in a time capsule, which meant that all over the small apartment we were getting 90mb plus

Now with the upgrade the speed we get when connecting via the time capsule is no more than 60 or 70mb even after putting in the 5ghz option on the time capsule

When I connect via my ISP wifi name I am getting close to 300mb

So my question

is there a speed limit on the time capsule?

do i need to change any settings?

any other ideas

thanks in advance guys and have a great night/day/morning/evening/weekend (select all that may apply!)

Richard

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 1:45 PM

3 replies

Mar 31, 2017 2:08 PM in response to Richiebcn

When I connect via my ISP wifi name I am getting close to 300mb

In your MBA when you connect to the ISP wifi please Option click on the wifi symbol in the top menu area.

User uploaded file

The info here will help determine the problem. Notice in this list.. Tx Rate: Mine shows 1300Mbps which is max for AC wireless.

Now connect to the TC wireless and do the same thing. Again note in the list the Tx Rate:

How does it compare to the ISP wireless router?

There is also a tool .. you see in the list Wireless Diagnostics. Open that .. but don't bother to run the actual diagnostic.. it is near useless. (It is more for sending info to Apple).

Open the scan from the top menu.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Open up the scan so you can see all the fields.. notice the signal strength, and particularly you are looking for interference if you are living in apartment as wireless is probably clogged with users who live all around you. It is important for the wireless to choose a freq with the best signal and lowest interference. You may need to set the actual band with a separate name.. and choose the channel in the TC.

The TC assuming it is the newest AC type should be capable of 300Mbit wireless but only if you get a link speed of at least 800Mbps. (wireless actual throughput is less than 50% of the link speed).

Apr 4, 2017 2:11 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you so much for the reply

shortly after I posted our internet router decided to crash and had to be replaced - don't even ask 😉

So new router and when i connect to the 5ghz network via time machine on iphone I am getting speeds of 280mb which is cool, but on the apple macbook air connected to the same network I am getting 180mb maybe so need to investigate this.

If memory serves me correctly when connected via wifi to the 5ghz of the actual broadband (not via tc) it seems to get higher speeds so I am a bit lost!

I will report back

Apr 4, 2017 2:29 AM in response to Richiebcn

If memory serves me correctly when connected via wifi to the 5ghz of the actual broadband (not via tc) it seems to get higher speeds so I am a bit lost!

The wireless diagnostics will help you.. TC can have low output... or a poor channel.. Not all 5ghz channels are equal and some definitely work better than others..

Post your actual numbers.. general descriptions of a problem are not going to help us solve it.

time capsule airport speed issues with 5ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.