Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Potential Solution to Wireless Reliability Issues

For the longest time I suffered with wireless connectivity issues with my MBP that I didn't suffer with other computers. I have a Apple Airport Extreme Base station and nothing I did could stop the random disconnections, and slow internet on my MBP.

Finally I fixed it by doing something very simple. I went in and changed the Channel setting in my wireless router from the default setting channel 12 to channel 3. Its likely that the MPB wireless card is very sensitive and is easily interferred with other electronic devices in your house. For some reason, Channels 3 and 4 work much better.

If you have an airport base station, go into your Airport Utility Program and change your router's setting there. I have not had one single dropped session yet and I also get much faster internet (note you can confirm this by doing a bandwidth check both before and after you change channels)

Good luck!

MBP Intel Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 28, 2006 10:05 PM

9 replies

Dec 31, 2006 4:44 PM in response to willibeast1

The primary reason is that the traffic on a specific channel could be tied up. If you are in a place with a lot of wireless internet traffic, using multiple channels can help. Of course securing your network should help avoid that, but frequency hopping can only survive the clutter so much. The more you have running at 2400 Mhz, the harder it will be for your network to work.

Potential Solution to Wireless Reliability Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.