Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell if Spotlight is indexing.

Using Sierra 10.12.3 and Spotlight is acting weird.

No matter what I put in to search for it shows the same result.

So I thought "reindex"... but now I followed the instructions how do I know it is actually indexing?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), iMac, Mini, MacBook Pro, iPhone

Posted on Apr 1, 2017 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2017 1:03 AM

When Spotlight reindexing is in progress, click the Spotlight search icon in the menu bar

and enter index in the text area next to the icon.

At first a pulsating bar and then a steady progress bar next to Indexing will appear.

User uploaded file User uploaded file User uploaded file

8 replies

Apr 2, 2017 10:38 AM in response to Krag

You can also see in ActivityMonitor (in Utilities) if Spotlight is indexing:

select CPU Tab button,

then click the "ProcessName" column once to sort it alphabetically,

find the mdworker name in the ProcessName column,

as soon as the %CPU is above 0 it is "working" (even at 0% it is), it may be 50% or higher when indexing seriously...

Sep 16, 2017 4:36 PM in response to Lexiepex

I have about 13 cases of mdworker showing in Activity monitor, some list _spotlight as the User, some are my name. Is this normal?? I'll see numbers like .1 or 0 or 5.3 etc in the % of cpu column. As I type this , about 8 of those are showing some indexing, albeit slight and mds_stores is showing 19.1% at the moment. They change constantly. I have a 2010 iMac i7 and I always hear this faint noise like the hard drive is working and I've wondered if it was Spotlight in the background running amuck. Any suggestions? Quit all this cases of mdworker in Activity monitor perhaps? I suspect they would all come back.

Thanks,

Mark

How to tell if Spotlight is indexing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.