Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login with Touch ID after Screen Lock

Hello! Is it possible to use Touch ID on my macbook pro (2016) to log back into my computer after Screen Lock? I am prompted only to enter a password. I would prefer to use the touchid to get back in, though.

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 2, 2017 5:59 AM

5 replies

Apr 23, 2017 3:59 PM in response to caverbook

caverbook wrote:

Hello! Is it possible to use Touch ID on my macbook pro (2016) to log back into my computer after Screen Lock?

What do you mean exactly by "Screen Lock"?

If you mean the Mac was sleeping, then yes, if you have a Touch ID in place, it should work to unlock the Mac. You can tell if you have a Touch ID in place by seeing something like "Finger 1" in this screen shot from System Preferences > Touch ID:

User uploaded file

But bear in mind if you logged out of the Mac or restarted the Mac, a password would be required.

Apr 2, 2017 7:42 AM in response to caverbook

Yes, you should be able to use Touch ID. The exception is if the Mac was powered off; when it is first powered on you must enter the password. If Touch ID isn't working when the screen is locked after waking from sleep, check the setting at Apple menu > System Preferences > Touch ID > Use Touch ID For: Unlocking your Mac

Apr 23, 2017 3:21 PM in response to FoxFifth

This is happening to me too. When I restart my Macbook, Touch ID works fine. After screen lock, it no longer works and always requires password instead. I can not switch users with Touch ID as well. All my Touch ID settings are correct. This looks like a new bug that has been introduced with the latest update.

Login with Touch ID after Screen Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.