Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery troubles with MBP (early-2011)

My early-2011 MacBook Pro (running Sierra) has been having battery issues. The original battery recently began dying, so I ordered a third-party battery off eBay. I installed the new battery myself. (I've swapped out a number of batteries on MacBooks, so I'm quite confident it is installed correctly.) However, the new battery does not seem to be working properly; it drains very rapidly. I get maybe an hour's use on a full charge, no matter what applications I'm running. It also seems to take much longer to fully charge than it should. Obviously, I suppose, the new battery could be at fault, but I'm concerned because I ran Apple Hardware Test, and the result indicated a battery problem which I'm not certain refers to the actual health of the battery. (By the way, the battery menu bar icon indicates the condition is "normal.") The error code AHT gives me reads as follows:

Alert! Apple Hardware Test has detected an error.

4xxx/4/40000005: oä "Battery"

Can anyone tell me if this indicates a bad battery, or has something to do with--and forgive me, I don't exactly know how to phrase this--the battery connection or how it interfaces with the computer itself? I guess, in other words, I'm asking if this seems to be a problem with the battery or something more serious.

The reseller is happy to send me a new battery, but only after I return this one, which would be fine but I understand that my MBP will run at a reduced rate if I use it with the power adapter absent a battery. (Can anyone confirm this?)

Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 3, 2017 1:52 PM

2 replies

Apr 3, 2017 2:07 PM in response to tjk

Unless there has been a change, if you remove the battery and run only using the AC adapter, then the CPU clock speed is reduced to half. The AC adapters cannot provide sufficient power on their own to run the machine.

This has been the case in the past. I don't think even the current AC adapters provide sufficient power to run the computer without the battery.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Battery troubles with MBP (early-2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.