Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages does not recognize custom keyboard shortcut

I assigned cmd-shift-e to the menu item "PDF ..." which is found under "export".

A few days ago, Pages got a wonderful update. The problem is, it does not recognize the keyboard shortcut anymore.

I tried to change it in system preferences, but it does not work. I could assign other menu items but not item that are in a nested menu or submenu, if you will.

Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 4, 2017 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 9:15 AM

Of course it is a German language Pages application. 😉

I can add the shortcut in either Pages v5.6.2 on El Capitan 10.11.6, or Pages v6.1 on macOS Sierra 10.12.4, like so:

User uploaded file

If the developer did not use an assumed space character between PDF and the ellipsis, then that might explain your present dilemma. Try entering a non-break space (option+spacebar) between the PDF and the ellipsis.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2017 9:15 AM in response to Rubberdonkey

Of course it is a German language Pages application. 😉

I can add the shortcut in either Pages v5.6.2 on El Capitan 10.11.6, or Pages v6.1 on macOS Sierra 10.12.4, like so:

User uploaded file

If the developer did not use an assumed space character between PDF and the ellipsis, then that might explain your present dilemma. Try entering a non-break space (option+spacebar) between the PDF and the ellipsis.

Apr 5, 2017 4:08 AM in response to Rubberdonkey

If you typed three periods behind that PDF... , then it won't work because it must be an ellipsis (option+; on a U.S. Keyboard). I just assigned control+option+P shortcut, and it works to open the Export PDF panel.

User uploaded file

That keyboard shortcut sequence was for testing purposes, and my recommendation to verify no collisions in the Pages Keyboard shortcut guide still stands.

Sep 20, 2017 9:39 PM in response to Rubberdonkey

Fixed!

I had this problem in the U.S. version of Pages 6.2, and none of the solutions I found worked. Then I found an Apple support article that contradicted advice to include only the "PDF" (with actual ellipsis, not three periods) part of the menu path, which wasn't working for me and others with the same problem.

Here's what I entered in the custom shortcut:

For Pages:

File->Export To->PDF…

For Preview (bonus tip):

File->Export as PDF…

You should be able to copy and paste those right into the proper fields, as I used proper ellipses in the examples. I assigned command+shift+E as the shortcut and it (finally) worked just fine in both apps.

Hope this helps!

Pages does not recognize custom keyboard shortcut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.