Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app automatic sync with photos folder

Hi everyone, I have a question!

Is it possible to let the Photos app automatically sync with the Photos folder (or any other folder) on my Macbook? I keep forgetting to import new photos and videos into the Photos app, so it'd be nice that could be done automatically when I put them in the folder..

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2017 4:01 AM

You could try to add folder action to the folder where you drop your photos. This would import all new photos to Photos:

Automator has a template to create folder Action.

Create a new Automator workflow using the "folder Action"template:

User uploaded file

In the title bar select the folder you want to watch. Then drag an Action "Import files into Photos" from the library of actions into the workflow.

User uploaded file

Save the workflow. Run the workflow once. Whenever you now add an image file to the folder you are watching, it will automatically be imported to Photos.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2017 4:01 AM in response to dilanf

You could try to add folder action to the folder where you drop your photos. This would import all new photos to Photos:

Automator has a template to create folder Action.

Create a new Automator workflow using the "folder Action"template:

User uploaded file

In the title bar select the folder you want to watch. Then drag an Action "Import files into Photos" from the library of actions into the workflow.

User uploaded file

Save the workflow. Run the workflow once. Whenever you now add an image file to the folder you are watching, it will automatically be imported to Photos.

Photos app automatic sync with photos folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.