Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5c and iOS 10.3.1 - What's going on?

I have an iPhone 6S.

Updated to iOS 10.3 over the air. Then updated to 10.3.1 over the air.

No Issues

Under Settings, General, About, Applications I am told 7 of my apps "may slow down my iPhone" etc and it lists some old apps I use very infrequently but i'm holding onto in case they get updated.

However my wife has an iPhone 5c.

Wouldn't update to iOS 10.3 - Kept reporting the iPhone was up to date. Had to update via iTunes. It then updated to 10.3.1 over the air.

My 10.3 to 10.3.1 update over the air was a few (48??) Mb. The 5c was 1.4Gb?? Any reason for the large file difference???

Secondly when I check under her Settings, General, About, Applications there are loads of applications listed. It states there are updates available for all of them even though they are all already up to date!!

User uploaded file

Further to that many of the applications are iOS components.

User uploaded file

Any ideas what is going on?

iPhone 5c, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 7:25 AM

What you saw with regard to the iPhone 5c not being able to get the software update OTA was reported by a whole host of users. As you saw, it was available in iTunes.

The size of the iOS software download in iTunes is always large because when you update using iTunes, you are downloading the entire iOS again rather than the incremental updates that you can update OTA using WiFi.

The apps that may slow down your device are 32 bit apps and in a future release of iOS they will most likely no longer work if the developer does not update them. This has been talked about in tech sites for some time now. Developers have known about it in ample time for them to update their apps. It is their choice to update or get left behind.

This might help explain things a bit better.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/28/how-to-identify-all-the-32-bit-apps-in stalled-on-your-iphone-running-ios-103

I Am not sure why you are seeing that there are app updates in the settings if the apps are already updated. What you should see in Settings>General>About>Applications, is a list of apps that are 32 bit apps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2017 7:25 AM in response to PB2007

What you saw with regard to the iPhone 5c not being able to get the software update OTA was reported by a whole host of users. As you saw, it was available in iTunes.

The size of the iOS software download in iTunes is always large because when you update using iTunes, you are downloading the entire iOS again rather than the incremental updates that you can update OTA using WiFi.

The apps that may slow down your device are 32 bit apps and in a future release of iOS they will most likely no longer work if the developer does not update them. This has been talked about in tech sites for some time now. Developers have known about it in ample time for them to update their apps. It is their choice to update or get left behind.

This might help explain things a bit better.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/28/how-to-identify-all-the-32-bit-apps-in stalled-on-your-iphone-running-ios-103

I Am not sure why you are seeing that there are app updates in the settings if the apps are already updated. What you should see in Settings>General>About>Applications, is a list of apps that are 32 bit apps.

Apr 5, 2017 7:25 AM in response to Demo

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify the download sizes I gave where both OTA when updating from 10.3 to 10.3.1 on both devices. Only the 10.2 to 10.3 update was done via iTunes for the 5c.

I understand about the 32 bit apps thing. Just seems to be very strange behaviour in the 5c all round. Was fine upto 10.3. 😟

iPhone 5c and iOS 10.3.1 - What's going on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.