Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil creating strange lines when trying to write.

I have been using my ipad pencil to take notes in GoodNotes. At times when I am writing, a long line will appear. I have to erase that and start again and then it happens again. I tested with Notability and get the stray marks there.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2017 11:36 AM

Are you having the issue when the ipad is unplugged from a charger, or when it's plugged into power? I experienced what sounds very similar to your situation. In addition to the written text breakup, I would also have random lines that would draw while I was writing. At first I thought maybe it was resting the side of my hand on the surface, but it was also doing it when I simply hovered. I went through the basic trouble shooting, forced restart, verified it was doing it on Notes, Notability, and Good Notes. I called Apple support and did a screen share. Of course it starting working fine when I had them on the phone. After a short time with them, I decided to back track and realized that it stopped doing it while I was on the phone with Apple. Of course, I only had the 1m charging cord, so I had unplugged the ipad during my call. I plugged it back in, and sure enough it started doing it again. I happen to be using an apple cable, but a generic wall charger I had in my desk at work. I brought my Apple charger from home and now testing with no noticeable issue. I'm leaning towards the conclusion that my trouble was due to the generic Monoprice wall charger. I'm wondering if it was generating some type of interference either with the pencil itself or the ipad pro's display features that interact with the pencil. Either way, it may be something to check as a possible source.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2017 11:36 AM in response to voodooblues

Are you having the issue when the ipad is unplugged from a charger, or when it's plugged into power? I experienced what sounds very similar to your situation. In addition to the written text breakup, I would also have random lines that would draw while I was writing. At first I thought maybe it was resting the side of my hand on the surface, but it was also doing it when I simply hovered. I went through the basic trouble shooting, forced restart, verified it was doing it on Notes, Notability, and Good Notes. I called Apple support and did a screen share. Of course it starting working fine when I had them on the phone. After a short time with them, I decided to back track and realized that it stopped doing it while I was on the phone with Apple. Of course, I only had the 1m charging cord, so I had unplugged the ipad during my call. I plugged it back in, and sure enough it started doing it again. I happen to be using an apple cable, but a generic wall charger I had in my desk at work. I brought my Apple charger from home and now testing with no noticeable issue. I'm leaning towards the conclusion that my trouble was due to the generic Monoprice wall charger. I'm wondering if it was generating some type of interference either with the pencil itself or the ipad pro's display features that interact with the pencil. Either way, it may be something to check as a possible source.

Apr 11, 2017 11:11 AM in response to voodooblues

Hi there, voodooblues!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having issues with your Apple Pencil making stray marks on your iPad Pro in apps. First, check out this article with steps to Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch . This will allow you to close the apps you're having issues with.

Next, check out this article with steps to Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch .

If you still see the issue, check out this article to Use Apple Pencil with iPad Pro and follow the steps to pair your Pencil to the iPad again to see if there is a difference.

Let us know the results and have a great day!

Apr 12, 2017 5:31 AM in response to voodooblues

Thanks for letting us know the results, voodooblues!

You've tried some great steps so, next, you should reinstall iOS on your iPad. This should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support .

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on - Apple Support . These steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further. Then, test the issue to see if it is still going on.

Keep us posted and we can go from there.

Apple pencil creating strange lines when trying to write.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.