Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some Podcasts won't play with cellular data

I hope someone can help me. Some podcasts will simply not play when I am using cellular data. It just says episode unavailable. I can start the podcast on wifi then switch over to cellular data and it continues playing.

The weird thing is that it is just for some podcasts. Is there a setting I am missing ?

Example none of "how stuff works" podcasts work but "no such thing as a fish" works fine.

Please help, I have looked everywhere for settings

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2017 2:20 PM

Had same problem- Podcasts wouldn't play over mobile data connection. I wasn't trying to download them but just stream them. Only did this with certain podcasts, not sure if it's to do with file size.

Anyway the fix for me was go to podcast settings and turn off only download on WIFI.

Now bear in mind I am still not actually downloading but streaming, yet turning this setting off allows me to stream the podcast. Hope this helps

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2017 2:20 PM in response to EtKr

Had same problem- Podcasts wouldn't play over mobile data connection. I wasn't trying to download them but just stream them. Only did this with certain podcasts, not sure if it's to do with file size.

Anyway the fix for me was go to podcast settings and turn off only download on WIFI.

Now bear in mind I am still not actually downloading but streaming, yet turning this setting off allows me to stream the podcast. Hope this helps

Sep 6, 2017 12:29 AM in response to EtKr

Have the same problem. But surprisingly only with BBC podcasts. At the Apple Store they were not helpful at all and blamed the BBC. After many emails to the BBC they said the problem is with the apple podcast app. After much frustration I downloaded another podcast player (RSSRadio app) and I can play all podcasts without any problems, including the BBC ones. What's annoying is the AppleStore they blame the BBC and the BBC blame the Apple Store.

Sep 11, 2017 7:36 AM in response to EtKr

And I contacted BBC and they said there isn't any problem on their side. They said the problem is with the apple podcast app. I had to download another podcast player RSSradio. I am happy with it so far and I can play any podcast, including the BBC ones. The interface is a bit different and reminds me of the old apple podcast app. with the little windows.

Sep 11, 2017 10:05 AM in response to MManzi2020

Rssradio is the answer! Lovely interface and works very well. I see you can also get it for the iPad.

I hope iOS 11 fixes this though because I like to keep everything in sync - especially for video podcasts between my AppleTV / iPad / iTunes on my computer.

But i may keep using rssradio for my audio.

Many thanks for the recommendation! 😉👍-1F3FB;

Some Podcasts won't play with cellular data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.