Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon GL2 or Sony HD camcorder for web video project

I'm about to start a web video project and need to make my year end purchases for tax purposes. The videos will be edited in Final Cut for use on the web - YouTube. They will be shot outside and range from 3-5 minutes edited. I'll want to shoot 16x9. What camera is best for this purpose and yield the best results. Workflow is also important as I want the process to be easy enough to facilitate the daily upload of new videos.

Thanks

Dual Core 2.0 PowerMac | PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 29, 2006 9:37 AM

17 replies

Dec 29, 2006 9:58 AM in response to Christopher Meinck

Shooting HDV isn't my favorite workflow... read the article about editing HDV in the current issue of the Creative COW magazine: http://magazine.creativecow.net/index.html

Shooting 16X9 DV would be faster to do IMHO...

That said, all compression is sort of a garbage in/garbage out situation. The better the picture, the better the end product, so it's a tough call in that price range... if you could jump up a bit to a P2 camera, things would be good all around workflow wise... but it's a bit of a jump... the HVX200 is selling for about $5200 or so... plus recording media... but it would more than compete with HDV (in fact it's much better looking to my old eyes) and it renders almost as fast as DV does...

Jerry

Dec 29, 2006 10:23 AM in response to Jerry Hofmann

Thanks for the quick response. I'll look for a copy of the magazine this weekend.
$5200 is a bit out of my budget. I'm figuring on around $2k for the camera and I'm sure I'll need accessories (tripod, tapes). I expect the shop will try and sell me on "you need this" accessories. In your opinion, what are the must-have accessories?

Are there other cameras in the sub-$2k price range I should also consider?

Thanks for your help!

Dec 29, 2006 11:03 AM in response to Christopher Meinck

A decent fluid head tripod, and a good carring case for the camera... start with just that and see how it goes. Lighting is another story for sure... depends on what and where you're going to shoot.

If you click on the link and register (It's free and you'll never be spammed by the COW) you can download a PDF of the magazine right away.... they'll send you an email to the link for the download.

Jerry

Dec 30, 2006 6:45 AM in response to stickman_dj

I'm actually considering the Panasonic AG-DVX100B. With the rebate, it's about $2500 from BuyDig. I will probably visit a local shop today to see if they'll match that price. I'm also wondering if it's overkill for my project? I guess not, using the garbage in/out philosophy. Although the end result will be a web video, having great quality video will surely have an impact on the final result.

Dec 30, 2006 7:36 AM in response to Christopher Meinck

Ah, but will you get great web video from HDV? It has it's Achilles heel, as was said recently by an expert on this forum recently. Hard to edit, 4-1-1, with not much color space, and does not handle motion well.

Why not make do, with DV and a good uprez scheme, until you can afford a good HD, with a 4-2-2 profile?

Of course, I might be wrong.

Dec 30, 2006 9:00 AM in response to LuckyMan

Isn't the Panasonic DVX100 a DV Cam? I'm a bit confused. Right now, I've been deciding on Canon GL2 or Panny DVX100b. Canon is about 2K, while the Panny is $2600 after rebates. Isn't that straight SD video? I spoke with a good friend who does video for ABC and he recommended I go HD. After reading the article, I think it would adversely affect my workflow. He mentioned that any SD camera would be obsolete in 2-3 years time. I'm still thinking it's best for my project, but not sure if it's worth the jump from the Canon to the Panny.

I wish I had more time to make a decision, but have to decide by tomorrow.

Canon GL2 or Sony HD camcorder for web video project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.