Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard stop working after login

Hi, I was running Kodi on my MacBook Air, when the mouse and keyboard stopped working. I am able to shut it down with the power button. When it restarts, the keyboard and mouse works and I am able to login. However once I am logged in the keyboard stops and even the caps lock light turns off. My screen then shows a script pop up saying "Bluetooth setup assistant... no keyboards have been found" I am unable to force quite or reset the PRAM since my keyboard doesn't work. I have tried all these options during boot up, however when I login it just goes back to the same screen. Also I do not have a wireless keyboard. Any other ideas out there?

Posted on Apr 6, 2017 6:02 PM

3 replies

Apr 6, 2017 8:08 PM in response to iEvan 3.0

Hi thanks for the response. I held down shift like you said. Once the screen with the apple logo loaded it went to this and the mouse remains stuck in the upper left corner and keyboard non functioning. This is also the same screen I received when I clicked on guest user instead of logging in. (Just in case you can't view the picture it changes between an on/off switch on a tablet and mouse signaling to turn on the wireless Bluetooth connection)User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2017 8:02 PM in response to lmayer1

Thanks for the screenshot … sorry for the late reply.

Sounds like something in your machine is really messed up. I'd be curious to know if the problem still occurs if you boot from an install drive, which should supply keyboard and trackpad drivers itself — this would be a way to make sure your hardware is still working. As an added bonus, once you know your keyboard is working on the install drive (I am 99% confident it will work), you can go reinstall the OS from the install drive. Make sure you have a backup first, and don't restore the app that broke your keyboard from that backup …

Since you mentioned "PRAM" in your original post, I will take that as licence to give you command line instructions. 😁 Enjoy! Unfortunately this will require access to another Mac, so I hope you have a friend or a workplace with access to a Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

Apr 6, 2017 6:54 PM in response to lmayer1

Interesting. Can you try something? Start up the computer in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key before you see the Apple logo. The keyboard should work then, and when the computer boots up, it won't load any login items or other things that may be messing up the keyboard. Let me know what happens.

You can check login times if you go to System Preferences > Users & Groups and click the Login Items tab. Remove any you don't think you need — I believe the only default one is an iTunes service.

Keyboard stop working after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.