Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Date set to 24 Nov 2040 on OS startup

I found that after the recent update to 10.12.4, it sometimes the date time is temporality incorrect after booting into the mac. The upper bar shows 24 Nov 2040 as the date. Because I always choose to restart application on last shutdown there are many cert. problems due to incorrect date set. After some time (around 3 minutes) the time will seems sync back with time server. I encountered this problem twice and I need to restart the OS as there were plenty of popup dialogs from applications showing cert error. Although the top bar shows the date is 24 Nov 2040, if I open date time preference the date shown in the date time setting was 1 Jan 2038.

I do not know how I could avoid this from happening again.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2017 5:39 AM

18 replies

May 3, 2017 12:05 AM in response to francium0

Opened system preferences > selected date and time , opened the pad lock and entered admin name and password > unchecked the box for set date and time automatically , and clicked on drop down arrows of date / Month /Year ( below bottom right side on the keyboard i a key pointing towards right side so used it ) and selected the year 2040 it couldn't set but the last year that is to be set as 2038 and exactly it is 1/1/2038 , as some limitations are there in the software .

Clicked on revert the Date /Month/Year was set to present , and once again checked the box for set date and time automatically .

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2017 3:15 PM in response to francium0

I bought a new MBP 15 Late 2016 earlier this week. Been having all kinds of issues with tied to time...have rebuilt it twice. Same thing happening to me today whenever trying to use time.apple.com to set date and time automatically. Every time I rebooted, time was being set to late 2040.

Finally I tried the NVRAM / SMC resets. Wasn't even sure if I did those right as there is no confirmation when you do this. Booted my machine back up and before I logged in, I could tell the time had changed and was wrong. Someone walked in my office, so it was 2-3 minutes later before I logged in. By the time I did, the system time fixed itself before I had logged in.

In short, it might be that if you are having this issue, you just need to wait 10-15 seconds before you log in. I'm not sure if it was this on its own or this paired with the NVRAM / SMC reset that worked, but regardless, my machine is finally working correctly again with the set date and time automatically enabled.

And if none of this works for you, setting the time manually with the time zone detected automatically was working for me fine...just frustrating that part of the functionality of your $3000 computer doesn't work. Feels very Microsoftish.

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 13, 2017 7:05 AM in response to francium0

I just start having this problem today, and opening up the time preferences, the time goes back to normal on check from the time.xxx.apple.com servers. If I uncheck the automatic check from the servers, then the time is correct on next reboot, so seems like this check on startup is giving max date value instead of real time, but works ok after startup. Could it be because the network has not yet manage to connect to internet at time of startup and check?

Apr 13, 2017 7:10 AM in response to dumbur

Yes, because it constantly goes to max date after reboots after I posted this, I also got this workaround. It works but it means it is not going to sync with any time server and rely on local machine's clock. Because I got many applications running on start up (continue from last section), when time goes wrong they went into big problems including all certs consider themselves invalid, whatsapp is considering there is an update, iTune also popup something and block me from rebooting.

I prefer if I can have a time server to sync. It is not reasonable that when network is unavailable the date goes to maximum.

Apr 30, 2017 12:22 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes, aware I have 90-day support, or three years in my case with Apple Care. It's not an issue with my MBP. It's an issue with macOS 10.12.4. I have two other MBPs in the office that have been rebuilt and macOS 10.12.4 installed and every single one of them will not boot with the correct time when you have time and date set to update automatically. The only way to get them to reliably boot with correct time is to not have the time and date set automatically.

I've read in several places that macOS 10.12.5 beta4 corrects the issue. So no, I'm not going to waste my time sitting on the phone talking to Apple developers.

May 3, 2017 9:38 AM in response to tygb

As far as I know UNIX's time is stored as a number of bits which 0 is defined as a specific time and counts towards to a maximum value, which seems to be something like year 2038. The presentation layer is how it takes the clock data to present it to the UI. I also do not know why the 2 presentation present with a different date (2038/2040).

I currently switched off automatically sync with time server and the issue did not bother me again. And wait if the next update will fix the issue so that I don't have to DIY.

Date set to 24 Nov 2040 on OS startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.