Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove a "database" from Safari?

Under manage "website data ..." in the preferences on Safari, I keep having a "database" pop up that I have removed over and over, again. I am not revisiting the site and, yet, the "databases" for this website keeps putting itself back into my website data. It is very annoying as I keep my cookies, etc very clean and exclusive to the current website I am visiting.

Does anyone know how to permanently remove website data that keeps popping up?

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Apr 8, 2017 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2017 7:19 AM

Safari/Browsers – can’t delete cookies

Evercookie

Quit Safari.

In Finder go to Go menu and then Go to Folder.

Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Launch Safari again and check if all is ok.

If that doesn’t work, copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Local Storage.

Test.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2017 7:19 AM in response to Whickwithy

Safari/Browsers – can’t delete cookies

Evercookie

Quit Safari.

In Finder go to Go menu and then Go to Folder.

Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases.

Launch Safari again and check if all is ok.

If that doesn’t work, copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Local Storage.

Test.

Apr 8, 2017 3:30 AM in response to Whickwithy

You can remove the extensions in safari preferences .

An article to be read : Safari for Mac: Privacy preferences in Safari

Click on go > go to folder and type ~/Library , remove the contents of folders caches , cookies , saved application state , safari ( except book marks ) .On restarting the machine and emptying the trash creates fresh temp files once again .

In normal browsing cookies will always be developed .

Taking cursor on top menu bar > clear history > clear all history and website data is to be done to remove back history and web site data .

Apr 9, 2017 5:23 PM in response to Whickwithy

Strictly speaking the databases do not do anything. They are created by the websites that use them, for whatever purpose that may entail. It can be assumed they are used to save login credentials and browsing history specific for that website, but other uses are certainly possible and easily implemented.

macOS draws heavily from its iOS counterpart in that it makes extensive use of sqlite databases. That ability is incorporated in Webkit that Safari uses, and its use is not limited to Safari. SQLite can be used to create very compact and efficient database storage for a variety of purposes. Contacts and Mail also uses them. For more information refer to http://www.sqlite.org/.

Dec 5, 2017 9:07 PM in response to John Galt

This doesn't work for me, I have the same problem. I delete all website data under Settings/Privacy and these database files immediately reappear - I'm not even visiting any sites. I have a Library folder but I don't have a Library/Safari/ folder. I'm an admin working on MacOS 10.12.6, Safari 11.0.1

Where did Apple hide the Safari Database files?

Dec 6, 2017 1:15 AM in response to berton82

You do have a Library Safari folder: in the User Library.

There are three Libraries:

a) The Main mac Library: StartupDisk->Library

b) The main User Libarary: Homefolder->Library

c) The System Library: StartupDisk->System->Library.

You never should not need to go to the System Library.

the main User Library may be invisible:

In Finder go to the Homefolder (yourname), then select "View" in the Finder menu, select "Show View Options", then check "Show Library Folder". Then the User Library folder will be visible (and stay visible).

Dec 29, 2017 1:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Good reply, works for me, with 1 correction and 1 suggestion:

a/ take out the space between "Local" and "Storage". It should be

~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage

b/ Users can easily access these folders again next time in Finder by typing "command+shift G" and a list of previously accessed folders will come up.

If, for example, a user was previously manually updating a Keychains file from another drive, that path could come up in the dropdown.

BEWARE doing these blindly at the end of a long day in Safari, and accidentally deleting something important like a current keychain file...

(don't ask I how know...)

How do I remove a "database" from Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.