Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION on apple tv

Just recently set up two-factor authentication on my macbook air for my itunes/icloud accounts... upon doing so, my apple tv didn't prompt for the second factor authentication, but did prompt for username and password. Kept giving an error after password that I need to enter password followed by verification code - however there wasn't even an option for entering the verification code on the apple tv. Software is up to date on both devices. Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 8, 2017 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2017 5:52 PM

After some brutal tries and tests, i figured out what to do here. I used my iphone to "Allow" the two factor code, and then on the apple tv it asked me for the two factor code. I entered the two factor code, but it still did not take. On the next go around, it asked for my standard password on the next screen, and i used my regular itunes password and ALSO included the 6 digit authentication code into my password (no spaces or dashes) so when asked for my password i used ----> mypersonalpassword123456 (123456 is an example of the 6 digit code apple sent me on the two factor authentication.

So if served/asked:

1. email and itunes password should be entered as normal

2. "allow" the two factor authentication on your iphone or ipad.

3. If apple tv requests the two factor password, use the 6 digits here from your phone.

4. Apple will probably reject the 6 digit code.

5. enter email again for itunes when prompted.

6. in password box, again, i used ----> mypersonalpassword123456 (123456 is an example of the 6 digit code apple sent me on the two factor authentication.

Hope this helps.

I know for me I was about to go nuts trying to get this to work.

Cheers.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2017 5:52 PM in response to roguesatine

After some brutal tries and tests, i figured out what to do here. I used my iphone to "Allow" the two factor code, and then on the apple tv it asked me for the two factor code. I entered the two factor code, but it still did not take. On the next go around, it asked for my standard password on the next screen, and i used my regular itunes password and ALSO included the 6 digit authentication code into my password (no spaces or dashes) so when asked for my password i used ----> mypersonalpassword123456 (123456 is an example of the 6 digit code apple sent me on the two factor authentication.

So if served/asked:

1. email and itunes password should be entered as normal

2. "allow" the two factor authentication on your iphone or ipad.

3. If apple tv requests the two factor password, use the 6 digits here from your phone.

4. Apple will probably reject the 6 digit code.

5. enter email again for itunes when prompted.

6. in password box, again, i used ----> mypersonalpassword123456 (123456 is an example of the 6 digit code apple sent me on the two factor authentication.

Hope this helps.

I know for me I was about to go nuts trying to get this to work.

Cheers.

TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.