Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Control OMNA 180 HD Camera Remotely Using Home Hub

Hi, I recently tried to set up an OMNA 180 HD Camera using an Apple TV (4th Gen) as a hub. It works fine when I'm home. Unfortunately as soon as my iPhone is out of range of my home wifi network I'm unable to view / control the camera. I've tried using an iPad as an alternative and I'm still getting the same result..........NO RESULT / REMOTE ACCESS! OMNA are unable / unwilling to help. They believe its a Homekit issue. I've followed all the advice I can find on the support page....latest software, connected to the same network, two factor authentication, signed in and out, restarted, can control accessory whilst home etc etc.....anyone experience similar issues?

Posted on Apr 9, 2017 12:39 AM

11 replies

Apr 9, 2017 12:17 PM in response to plargan

Are you sure Apple TV is configured as a Home hub? I believe that, when you're at home, your phone conmects direct to the device, bypassing the hub, so you may not have tested the hub. Does Apple TV show that Homekit is connected, as described in this link: Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories - Apple Support? Reading that document seems to imply that no router manipulations should be required, though I'm not sure how they do it.

Apr 9, 2017 8:23 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Hey Diana, thanks for taking the time to respond. My Apple TV and iPad are both connected as Home HUBs. I followed the Apple Support page when installing the camera. I still think you may be on to something when you suggested my router is blocking the incoming connection. I used third party software to check whether certain ports were open on the router and found some of the more popular ones were closed. I'll contact Linksys and see if anyone else is having this issue.

Apr 10, 2017 3:24 AM in response to plargan

Just asking, you are logged in to iCloud using the same Apple ID on iPhone and Apple TV?

Since the Apple doc doesn't mention needing to open any ports, I expect it's not necessary. This would be a tough requirement to place on users. But, since most routers block incoming connections, I assume that Apple TV, when running as a hub, must open and maintain connection to an iCloud server. That would allow the server to relay data between your phone and Apple TV. I wonder if you're losing that connection after a period of time. You could test without leaving home, by turning off WiFi on the phone. Then restart Apple TV, Settings > System > Restart. See if you can access the device from the phone.

Jul 26, 2017 12:19 PM in response to plargan

Hi Plargan,

I also did everything you have mention on your query. However to no avail. During outside my house I cannot seems to open the live view both from Omna Cam App and Apple Home app. I hope there is a quick fix for this. I search over the internet and this topic has not been escalated much. As it seems like there is no current solution for the mean time. I hope I'll hear from you when you manage to fix yours.

Thanks,

Nash

Aug 22, 2017 10:05 AM in response to plargan

I have a similar issue, but several other HomeKit accessories connected to the same hub (AppleTV 4th Gen) are working flawlessly.

My setup is:

AppleTV 4th Gen as the HomeKit hub

1 Phillips Hue hub with 4 light bulbs

2 Koogeek outlet module

1 Omna 180Cam HD

ZTE LTE mobile wireless router

I am able to control everything remotely with the exception of the Omna Cam.

I tried to reset and re-install the Omna Cam in the Home app, reset the AppleTV and the ZTE wireless hub.... No result.

Really hope someone can come up with a solution. I really like the Omna Cam, but without remote control, it is useless to me.

Dec 20, 2017 3:05 PM in response to plargan

I had an identical issue. No problem viewing cams within my WIFI but "no response" when away from home. I spent days trying to fix it with the help of D-link and Apple support. D-link were a lot more helpful than Apple. I knew more about Homekit than both the Apple support people I talked to.

I was also getting an error "msi_event_login_api_error" on the Omna app as well as a duplicate image showing in accessories.

I have the same hub setup as the OP.

Apple TV 4th gen as hub

Hue lights x 10 (working remotely no probs)

Omna Cams x 2

My successful process;

Delete cameras from Omna app

Delete Omna app

Reboot Modem

Reboot Iphone

Reinstall Omna app

Factory reset on both cameras by holding paperclip in reset hole for 10 seconds

Add camera 1

Reboot Omna app

Add camera 2

Reboot Omna app

Reboot iPhone

Reboot Modem

I really hope this works for you!

Jan 16, 2018 2:30 PM in response to Mrgldbgs

Same thing happened to me also. They were working fine and then they weren't. Then they worked for 6 months until I got a new iPhone 8 and set up Omna/Homekit on the new phone. I have no idea why me having a new device would affect the remote access. Strange thing is I could connect to the cameras and turn green light on/off and could see a real time image until it timed out.

Anyway... try the process I listed above. I've had the cameras working for about 6 weeks now without issue *fingers crossed*

They are great cameras when they're working...

Jan 18, 2018 8:53 PM in response to Dablett

This camera is driving me insane. It has been working great after doing all the above steps.

Last night I updated iPhone and iPad to 11.2.2. (It was some kind of security update)

Surprise surprise... today the cameras don't connect for remote viewing.

If these cameras didn't cost what they do I'd be taking a sledge hammer to them. Garbage.

Unable to Control OMNA 180 HD Camera Remotely Using Home Hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.