Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Camera focus but the edges of the camera are blurry on the screen?

Iphone Camera focus's but the edges of the camera are blurry on the screen?

Posted on Apr 9, 2017 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2017 12:12 AM

I am having the same issue, and it just appeared within the last few days or weeks. This has to be a new bug, or a new issue with a recent update. Gus' official Apple response is not sufficient. I have the same problem: randomly sometime in the last few days, my iPhone 7 regular (NOT plus) randomly started acting like it has the new portrait, depth of focus setting. Now when I take a picture using the stock camera app of a flat surface, only the center is in focus. Everything else has a gentle blur, just like it's simulating the bokeh effect or something. If I put a word document paper on a desk and take a picture from above, the entire 8x11 document is NOT in focus as it should be and used to be. Now, only one point on the page is in focus and everything else is blurred. And I should state that I do NOT have the option to select "portrait" mode officially, it's just doing something similar on its own now. Really, really weird... Apple, what the heck is up?

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2017 12:12 AM in response to DJ TOM

I am having the same issue, and it just appeared within the last few days or weeks. This has to be a new bug, or a new issue with a recent update. Gus' official Apple response is not sufficient. I have the same problem: randomly sometime in the last few days, my iPhone 7 regular (NOT plus) randomly started acting like it has the new portrait, depth of focus setting. Now when I take a picture using the stock camera app of a flat surface, only the center is in focus. Everything else has a gentle blur, just like it's simulating the bokeh effect or something. If I put a word document paper on a desk and take a picture from above, the entire 8x11 document is NOT in focus as it should be and used to be. Now, only one point on the page is in focus and everything else is blurred. And I should state that I do NOT have the option to select "portrait" mode officially, it's just doing something similar on its own now. Really, really weird... Apple, what the heck is up?

Apr 9, 2017 1:38 PM in response to DJ TOM

Hello,

Your photos are blurred or out of focus

If your photos are blurred, out of focus, or have dark spots, try these steps:

1. Make sure that the camera lens is clean. If you need to clean the lens, use a microfiber cloth. If you see dirt or debris inside the lens, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.
  2. With iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone 6 Plus, a metallic case or magnetic lens could interfere with optical image stabilization. Try taking a picture without it, then compare the quality.
  3. To focus on a certain object or person, tap that object or person on the preview screen. You’ll see the screen pulse, or briefly go in and out of focus, as the camera adjusts. In photo mode, try to stay steady when you adjust the focus. If you move too far in any direction, the camera will automatically refocus to the center. In video mode, you can adjust the focus before you begin recording.

If you still have issues with the focus on your camera, contact Apple Support.

More info here:

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Dec 21, 2017 10:43 PM in response to zypher77

My iphone 6s plus having the same problem, in beginning I am not aware of this after few times IOS update. (currently is IOS 11.2). Slowly slowly I found that the focus is very strange. When I focus the FLAT paper left side then right side lost focus. When I focus on right side then left side lost focus.

Can I have the the solution? What is happened to IOS 11? ??? What apple doing ???User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 22, 2017 11:06 AM in response to monsimone

The phone focuses on one part of the picture. You can choose what you want it to focus on by tapping on the object you want most in focus on the screen; a square will show what part of the picture you have selected and the phone is focused on. Things that are closer or further away from the focus point will be out of focus to some degree; less so in bright light, more so in dim light. (This is basic photography; it is true of every camera, not just an iPhone.)

You can test the camera by taking a picture of something that is completely flat, like another picture, a painting, etc. When you take a picture of something flat everything should be in focus. If this is not the case your camera is defective. Make a genius bar appointment to have it checked out.

Aug 8, 2017 6:31 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I think it's also interesting to mention that my iPhone 7 has, over the past few months, been increasingly giving me a variety of random Invalid SIM errors to which I have to constantly restart my phone. It then works and I have service for a few hours (now sometimes just minutes) until the error comes up again and I lose service. I joke that my phone is losing its mind...

Oct 8, 2017 8:15 AM in response to DJ TOM

I have an iPhone 6S Plus that recently started blurring the lower left and upper right corner on every shot. I’m a photographer so I understand focal distance and bokeh blur and this is not the case. I can shoot a flat document and it does the same. So basically my camera is worthless.

Interestingly enough......this is a replacement phone.....my original 6s plus did the same thing and then I ended up dropping it in a pool and it finished it off. 2 phones developed the same issue. Hardware or software??? I think it mechanical.

Iphone Camera focus but the edges of the camera are blurry on the screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.