Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad pro memory upgrade

I need to upgrade memory capacity on my Ipad pro I purchased last year.

How can I do this?

What kind of memory is used in ipad pro

Please help.

Rea

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 9, 2017 2:38 PM

11 replies

Apr 9, 2017 4:21 PM in response to reonita

As Allen Eckert has stated to you, iPads/all iDevices never had user upgradeable storage, ever!

It is, usually, advised that you purchase the largest storage iDevice that you can afford.

SInce Apple has skipped the midrange 64 GBs storage models in some of the iPad model lineups and have gone straight from base 32 GBs storage iPad models to 128 and 256 GBs models, you really had to make hard decision to upgrade to the larger 128 and 256 GBs iPad Pro models.

If you couldn't afford to graduate up to one of Apple's larger iPad Pro storage models, the fault lies NOT with Apple.

Sorry.

If you need to free up free data storage space on a 32 GBs iPad Pro model, you need to start by backing up your iPad to either iCloud or to connecting to a computer running the latest iTunes.

Then delete any installed apps that you no longer use or use infrequently enough that they aren't missed (you can always reinstalled any purchased or free apps at some time later, as you need them).

Thin out/delete any music/vidoes/movies/TV shows/images/eBooks/eMagazine/iBooks/Documents/PDFs, etc.

Delete any old saved emails that maybe saved to your iPad Pro.

Good Luck to You!

Oct 8, 2017 11:50 PM in response to reonita

Everyone is saying it cannot be done. There is a possible workaround to the limited storage as far as streaming music, videos, etc but not for the apps. It is the lightening USB thumb drives. Personally I have not tried this but it sounds like a viable work-around at least to extend your storage for music, video, photographs etc which may get you up and running.

Here is the link to the 9to5 Mac article on these thumb drives.

https://9to5mac.com/2015/03/20/the-best-iphoneipad-usb-flash-drives-with-lightni ng-connectors/

I too agree that Apple is hurting customers by not allowing upgradable memory especially with their latest devices not even having a 128 GB option but only 64 then jump to 256 both with the ipads and their latest iPhones which forces customers to buy the more expensive 256 GB option since 64 GB is simply not enough. Good Luck.

Oct 9, 2017 2:14 AM in response to matrixxzero

Not sure what you are talking about, but external wireless flash storage drives are very limited, suppmental storage and, currenly, many are designed to handle just images and video and nothing more.

And wireless flash drives are, typically, one-way devices, meaning it is quicker to load up a wireless drive with iDevice compatible content from a computer, than trying to load one up from an actual iDevice,

The download streaming speed of these wireless flash drives seems much faster than their wireless upload speeds.

So these are great for downloading/streaming data to an iPad, but not for loading up data from iPad.

Your statement about NO 128 GBs iDevices Is false.

All iPads come in bsse model 32 GBs of storage, then jump to 128 GBs of storage,

The iPad 5, iPad Mini 4 and iPad Pro models all offer 128 GBs storage models with the iPad Pros going to 512 GBs of storage.

Oct 9, 2017 3:00 AM in response to matrixxzero

Only the new iPhone 8 and X have only 64 and 256 GBs models, now.

Apple STILL sells the iPhone 5, 6 and 7 and all of these come in either 32 GBs or 128 GBs storage models.

As many users use Apple iPhone more, I think 32 GBs of base storage is paltry for this device.

AND Apple is following trends.

Most iPhone and iPad users want larger device storage, that's why Apple eliminated the 32 Gbs version in iPhone 8 and X and eliminated the 64 GBs models in older iPhone models and iPads.

If you are paying this kind of money for a smart phone, you don't want a 32 GBs base storage device in these types of higher end phones.

BTW,

I get along just fine with a 64 GBs, 6th gen iPod Touch and iPad 2 and 3 models. I'd, probably, be just fine with a 64 GBs iPhone. Probably better than a 32 GBs iPhone model.

I would be forced to purchase the 128 GBs models in all of Apple's current iPhone 5, 6 and 7 models.

I think 32 GBs base storage is too little storage for an iPhone, but 32 GBs of base storage for an iPad is more acceptable.

Many iPad users seem to get by better on a 32 GBs iPads than on the older 16 GBs models as the 32 GBs models have, approx. 2-1/2 times more practical storage capacity of a 16 GBs storage model (10 GBs in a 16 GBs storage model VS 25 GBs in a 32 GBs storage model).

It's a no- brainer!

More room for apps, music and photos/images and room for 2, possibly, 3 full movies, at a time on a 32 GBs storage device. Not too shabby for a 32 GBs baseline storage iPad.

Apple eliminating ALL 16 GBs storage models across the board was Apple's way of, FINALLY, acknowledging that selling a 16 GBs data storage devices was a joke!

In a 16 GBs iDevice you only end up with 9-10 GBs of practical storage.

That is NOT a lot. Even for just music, now!

Might be fine for just photo, too!

16 GBs of storage is a joke for storing any kind of quality video, too!

Oct 9, 2017 12:46 AM in response to reonita

No iOS device has upgradable memory. Use cloud storage services online which can help you free up your device's physical memory

Ipad pro memory upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.