Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't update past iOS 9.3.5

MY iPad is stuck at iOS 9.3.5 how do I update to. The latest version

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Apr 9, 2017 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2017 5:11 PM

Hi ...

Click here > http://www.apple.com/ios/ios-10/

Then scroll or swipe dow to: iOS compatibility

You should see ...

• iPad Pro12.9-inch
  • iPad Pro9.7-inch
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad Air
  • iPad4th generation
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad mini 3
  • iPad mini 2

If your iPad model is not listed, then it cannot be updated beyond iOS 9.3.5.

49 replies

Jun 10, 2017 4:27 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I am curious about that list, I have an iPad 4th Gen, but I cannot update past iOS 9.3.5 ... at least iTunes tells me that 9.3.5 is the latest. On the iPad device itself, it says it has downloaded iOS 10.2.1, but it won't install either, let alone the current iOS 10.3.2 ... did Apple make a mistake including iPad 4th Gen in the list for iOS 10 or possibly remove the update support after the initial announcement?

Jun 10, 2017 6:50 PM in response to Lee Warren 500

Make sure you don't have the iOS 10 upgrade listed in your software update on your iPad.

If it is there.

Go into the Settings App, General Settings panel.

In the right hand column, tap Storage and iCloud Usage.

At the top in the first block of 3 panels where it is titled at the top of this block Storage, tap the panel that says Manage Storage.

A list of every app will generate itself.

Once this list stops generating, look through this list until you see something like iOS 10.x.x in this list.

Tap on the arrow at the far right on that iOS 10.x.x panel.

It will bring you to another screen that will allowing you to completely delete/remove the entire iOS upgrade/update.

Then, try the iTunes method, again!

Good Luck!

Jun 10, 2017 9:47 PM in response to MichelPM

Before my original posting, I had looked for an apparent 10.2.1 update download to delete it, but it was not displaying on the list ... at least near the top of the memory use list as most iOS updates normally would. I finally found it not near the bottom of the APP memory list, about 100mb or so in size ... it must have been a partial download that became corrupted somehow. Once deleted, the 10.3.2 update proceeded normally.

I had understood that 10.2.1 was no longer signed by Apple to install, but the error message generated when attempting to install 10.2.1 was a rather unhelpful "cannot connect to network ... try again later" rather than "would you like to download the latest version?"

It also seems odd that iTunes did not see this issue and simply reported that 9.3.5 was "current" with no further options or warnings. Once 10.3.2 was installed via the iPad, reconnecting to iTunes then correctly reported 10.3.2 as being "current"

Thanks for your support!

Jun 17, 2017 6:46 AM in response to Shameem_ahmed

I'm glad you asked, I have the same problem, hope someone can help. So I own an iPad mini 2 that is currently functioning on iOS 9.3.5. On your list, it is clearly written that the iPad mini 2 can be updated to iOS 10. Could you maybe help? Maybe I should show up at the apple store and wait 6Hours in line waiting for the manager to text me so I can finally discuss my problem.

What at should I do? I tried everything to make go past iOS 9.3.5:(

-Nick

Jun 17, 2017 7:08 AM in response to Nick_Mini2

If you're having the same problem that I was, your iPad may have downloaded an older version of iOS 10.x that is no longer supported, and if it's still in memory, it will confuse iTunes, and at the same time prevent download of the current version of iOS 10.x.

Look under the Settings / General /Storage & iCloud Usage / Manage Storage menu and sub menus on your iPad. Look through the list of Apps and their memory usage; if any of those are an iOS update file earlier than 10.3.2, then delete it and try again. You may need to power down your iPad and turn it back on if you are still having difficulty and try again. Good luck!

Oct 2, 2017 6:18 PM in response to Lee Warren 500

I am having the exact same issue. I called Apple and the woman said it’s because there is not an update available for my iPad at the moment. I have an iPad mini 4th gen. I also tried doing as you did in the settings and I do not see an ISO option on the manage storage optionsall I see are my apps with the amount of storage they are taking up.

Oct 7, 2017 8:30 PM in response to vishnufromfaizabad

The iPad 2, 3 and 1st generation iPad Mini are all ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 10 OR iOS 11.

They all share similar hardware architectures and a less powerful 1.0 Ghz CPU that Apple has deemed insufficiently powerful enough to even run the basic, barebones features of iOS 10.

Why would you want to upgrade, anyways?

Since iOS 8, older iPad models such as the iPad 2, 3, 4 and the original iPad Mini have only been getting the most basic of iOS features.

Older iPad users get none of the newest and coolest cutting edge features that newer model iDevices, with better hardware specs, can handle with more aplomb.

FYI,

Just because your 1st gen iPad Mini is no longer able to upgrade to the latest iOS doesn't mean your 1st gen iPad Mini is suddenly useless.

So, your options are really keep using your 1st gen iPad Mini or purchase a new iPad if you feel you need or want to.

Your current 1st gen iPad Mini will still work and continue to receive app updates until sometime this Fall 2017, when, with the recent introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps will come to a final end.

Your 1st gen iPad Mini will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates after the Fall of 2017.

The 1st gen iPad Mini has had 4-5 years of iOS upgrades/updates

The final app updates your 1st gen iPad Mini will receive will be its last!

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2017 iPad 5 model, in April

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of iOS 11, which will render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete.

Good Luck to You!

Oct 19, 2017 11:47 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi mam, i have read this thread and i am thinking you might help me with my problem. After updating my ipad 2 into ios 9.3.5 its speaker suddenly became distorted or there was a crackling sound. But if you plug in an earphone, the sound is ok. I wasnt able to do a back up prior to upgrading the software.ive tried to restore and erase all the data and setting hoping to restore its original ios but i failed. What can i do mam to fix the speaker /sound of my ipad. Thank you, your reply will be greatly appreciated.

iPad won't update past iOS 9.3.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.