Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add any card to Apple Pay on Apple Watch

I've restored my watch from backup. On the step of adding cards from configured Apple Pay it gives me the Apple Pay configuration error from Apple Watch companion application. I see all my cards in Wallet settings there but cannot add them on Watch. Tried to remove all cards, reset wallet on iPhone, logout and log in back in iCloud with no success. Even unpaired and configured my Apple Watch as a new device - just got the same error.

I inspected my Watches online in the list of devices connected to iCloud, so there was a Pay sign and one MasterCard connected to them. Yet it cannot be removed neither from cards list for the devices, nor from device list (meaning my watch) itself. I guess this is the root of my troubles.

Is there any solution to completely remove a card from the device in iCloud and smooth re-add it again?

Apple Watch Series 2, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 9:33 AM

This suggestion helped me with this same problem today. I turned off “Simple passcode” on the Apple watch. Entered a longer passcode. Then added the credit card again, but this time I entered all credit card details manually, as if it were a different card. Success!

11 replies

Apr 10, 2017 5:06 PM in response to Aektann

Hi

It may help to follow these steps:

With your Apple Watch connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi, unpair your Apple Watch via the Watch app:

On your iPhone:

• Close the Watch app:
    • Double-click the Home button and swipe up on the Watch app preview to close it.
  • Go to: Settings > iCloud - at the bottom of the screen, Sign out.
  • Go to: Settings > Touch ID & Passcode - Turn Passcode off.
  • Restart your iPhone and Apple Watch (normally):
  • On your iPhone: sign back in to iCloud and turn Passcode back on.
  • Add your card(s) back to Apple Pay on your iPhone.

Re-pair your Apple Watch, either restoring it from backup or setting it up as a new watch:

Try again to add your card(s) to Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, following the steps here:

Jan 4, 2018 9:30 AM in response to John Kinard

I read through all the replies and ultimately discovered the best advice came from John Kinard above. The KEY piece was the second half of his recommendation : to MANUALLY ADD THE CARD through the watch app and not rely on the card already stored on my iPhone. My card synced immediately after manually entering all the required data.

Apr 11, 2017 12:11 AM in response to Jonathan UK

HI, Jonathan

I did exactly the same way several times with no help at all. Un-paired my Watche, turned off passcode on iPhone wiping the wallet off cards, signed off iCloud, restarted both iPhone and Watches. No way, cards successfully added to wallet on iPhone yet the "Cannot configure Apple Pay" reappeared in Apple Watch companion application.

There is a strange behavior of my iCloud devices list: I can't remove my Watches from there. Nor it's possible to remove a card via iCloud from Watches itsel. It just shows gray "Removing" status below the card's number: I'm pressing the Remove button, the card wanishes, then I re-open Watches properties in iCloud and the same "Removing" state again.

Could it be due iCloud settings being corrupted somehow?

May 12, 2017 9:04 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Apple Support failed to provide any help with the case and finally stopped responding to my letters. I tried to find a solution with the bank serviceman, so they used to check everything on their side and were not able to locate any problem with my card. As a conclusion I still have the notification record of my credit card "being removed" from Wallet and still can't get Apple Pay working on Apple Watch.

It's very sad to feel like being banished from any official support and not be able to help with the problem myself.

Sep 17, 2017 5:32 AM in response to Aektann

Not sure if you ever got this resolved, but I encountered the same and resolved it. The issue was due to a policy set on my BYOD device (iPhone 6S). The policy required a non-simple passcode and both the phone and the watch; My phone had a non-simple numeric passcode requirement for minimum 7 digits...the watch was set to simple with 4 digits. I changed the watch passcode to non-simple and changed the watch passcode to a 7-digit code. After doing this I was able to add my cards from Apple Pay on the phone to the watch.

So, check this and variations on the theme. IE, make sure that whatever password strength and/or other policy requirements enforced on your iphone, or specific to your watch, match up as it seems the error handling isn't there to trap this issue when it comes up, and the result is a generic "cannot connect" message.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Dec 8, 2017 4:21 AM in response to Aektann

I tried ALL the above BS and none of it worked. The card is on my phone. When I use the watch app to try and add the card to my watch it just says "could not connect to Apple Pay. Make sure you are connected to the internet." Well, I'm certainly connected to the internet, and no one should have to jump through this many hoops to get something simple to work on a device with the little jingle "It just works". 'cause it just ain't workin'!

Crazy thing is, the card even shows up in the app. but if you try to add it you get the above error.

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has figured this out. There's a bajillion people with this issue.

Can't add any card to Apple Pay on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.