Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Various Artists and Compilations

Hi there,

I am struggling with a concept of library management within iTunes.

I have a large library of compilations, and upon recently discovering that I no longer had to name the album with the tag "[Disc #]" I set about organising all my content.

I have discovered a small amount of tracks, some purchased on iTunes and some imported from CD's, which although correctly displaying the album artist as "Various Artists" do not merge with the other compilation within my collection, they sit above as non-compilation albums.

One of the causes I found out was because some of the artist fields also had as their name "Various Artists" because the track itself was recorded by various artists.

Example:

Album: Now That's What I Call Music! 39

Album Artist: Various Artists

(Song) Artist: Various Artists

Title: Perfect Day

In this instance, and others, because both the Album Artist and the (Song) Artist are the same (which is correct), iTunes is somehow mistaken into thinking that this track is not part of a compilation of "Various Artists".

I've also noted in many cases too that where I've previously purchased one or more tracks from a compilation, these also don't show in the compilation category of iTunes, and I can't see why when I've followed all the basic rules of tagging each tracks Album Artist the same and ticked the box "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" but still nothing happens.

Please can someone assist me so that I can sort all my compilations together in iTunes.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2017 11:47 AM

I'd noted previously that the (relatively) new Compilations area in Music doesn't capture everything I've marked as part of a compilation, but your post has prompted me to look at it more closely. As far as I can tell it returns any album that contains multiple values for Artist, and where Artist<>Album Artist for all tracks of the album. This means that a single track from a compilation album will never qualify, nor will any properly tagged compilation album if there is at least one track where Artist & Album Artist are both the same. Somewhat perversely clearing the Album Artist field altogether may make such an album qualify for the Compilations section.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2017 11:47 AM in response to slippydrew

I'd noted previously that the (relatively) new Compilations area in Music doesn't capture everything I've marked as part of a compilation, but your post has prompted me to look at it more closely. As far as I can tell it returns any album that contains multiple values for Artist, and where Artist<>Album Artist for all tracks of the album. This means that a single track from a compilation album will never qualify, nor will any properly tagged compilation album if there is at least one track where Artist & Album Artist are both the same. Somewhat perversely clearing the Album Artist field altogether may make such an album qualify for the Compilations section.

tt2

Various Artists and Compilations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.