Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fingerprint limit reached Touch ID

After an Internet Recovery and hard drive erase MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 does not show the Touch ID setup screen. Once logged on and going into system preferences, Touch ID; when attempting to create a fingerprint the system, informs me fingerprint limit reached, please delete a fingerprint but there are no fingerprints to delete. Booted into safe mode and I can get to inputting a fingerprint but fails. I did have Filevault 2 installed before the internet recovery was performed. Called Apple Support, went up to Tier 2 but after an hour on the call line went dead with no resolution and the Tech Support person somewhat at a loss. Have tried reinstalling, turning file fault on and off etc but no luck

Any ideas? Is there a way to reset or delete old fingerprints from the command line?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.4), Filevault 2 utilised

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2017 2:59 PM

Finally Apple have fixed this issue.

Reboot system into recovery mode

Open terminal from menu bar

Type: xartutil --erase-all

answer yes

Reboot computer as normal. Can now input new fingerprint. Obviously the xartutil erase all command wipes old fingerprints from the Touch ID chip not erased with a conventional clean install. My Touch ID now works again.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2017 2:59 PM in response to djm1960

Finally Apple have fixed this issue.

answer yes

Reboot computer as normal. Can now input new fingerprint. Obviously the xartutil erase all command wipes old fingerprints from the Touch ID chip not erased with a conventional clean install. My Touch ID now works again.

Jun 12, 2017 1:37 AM in response to Seadart

Brought it to Apple Store at Orchard Road, Singapore.

They ran some diagnostic tests.

My MacBook failed all the Touch ID tests.

Was recommended to replace the logic board.

I sent it in, told that would take no less than 7 days. Will call me once macbook is ready for collection. It was totally free because of Apple care. 🙏

I was told that they do not cover for water damage incase some are wondering.

Jul 28, 2017 5:58 AM in response to manoj94

I had the same problem and been trying to fix it for about 6 weeks. I finally took it into the store yesterday and they ran diagnostics. Everything came back okay on the overall diagnositics test but they did not run specific for just Touch ID. They restored my Mac hoping a reinstall would fix the issue. I was able to create a new fingerprint and did a few tests within the store but when I got home the problem came back. I am taking my MacBook Pro back into the store tomorrow. They now have to send it in for service repair or replace it. Let me know if you had any luck with your repair and if it is functioning properly after the logic board was replaced.

Thanks,

Aug 18, 2017 8:28 PM in response to return.of.the.mac

Have reproduced the problem now on 3 MacBook Pro's. If you are someone who does a clean install often the Touch ID chip seems to have a limit on fingerprints it can store and this chip does not get re-set when you erase the system. Bummer. Have liaised with Apple to see if there is a way to re-initialise the Touch ID chip but no response as yet. Seems to occur after fewer re-installs if you have FV2 installed and don't decrypt the drive before doing the clean install.

Aug 27, 2017 2:32 AM in response to Postmymind86

Over at reddit, an apple employee wrote:

"The secure element of the Touch ID module is separate from all the other hardware, so I doubt any amount of resetting will fix it. It sounds to me like a firmware level issue, which may need an update to fix unfortunately. I agree with your suspicion of the logic board replacement playing a part as well, as that may have kicked it out of sync with the rest of the machine."

Oct 18, 2017 5:30 AM in response to RaymondBarnes

Fixed yesterday by conducting the following;

answer yes

Fingerprint limit reached Touch ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.