Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i play music that i have saved on a sd card on my iphone

hi guys, I have an iPhone se 16gb and I have some other music that I did not get from I tunes on an sd card.

is there anyway that I can move and play this songs on my my iPhone se?

iPhone SE, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 6:11 PM

Hi

Yes you can. but not directly...........

First thing to find out is what format the songs are:

MP3, AAC, WMA, etc

Then IF you have your own Mac or PC that has iTunes installed you can drag & drop those songs to the hard drive of said Mac or PC. Then put them into iTunes, then sync to your ios devices.

Otherwise you would have to 'borrow someone elses' Mac or PC (or get them to do it for you on their equipment) if you do NOT have such access.

So assuming you DO have some kind of authorised access to a Mac or PC, that has an up to date working version of iTunes installed.........

Find the 'storage media' that has the songs on it.

Insert this 'usb thumb drive' or 'usb smart card reader (with smart card ALREADY inserted)'.........

........into an unused usb port. An icon should appear on the 'desktop'.

Open the 'folder' or icon for your 'storage device'. Find the music. Drag & drop it 'onto the desktop'.

Do NOT delete the music from the 'external storage device' untill you at least have it on your iOS device first.

You could create a 'music' folder, if you don't have one already, to have somewhere to drag & drop the music to, rather than 'onto the desktop'.

Then open iTunes and go to the 'menu bar' at the top left of the iTunes app screen.

Here you should easily find an option to 'import' the music that is now 'on the desktop'.

You can import one song at a time or ALL of it. Time to import depends on how many songs you have. One four minute song - on a cd - imports into itunes in less than 20 seconds - usually.

So 'potentially' 180 (4 minute) songs per hour if importing from a disc that can hold 180 songs, and no management is required of song metadata during import. Reality is very different. Metadata will need to be added at some point if importing from places other than a cd, for proper management of this music wherever it is played from.

There are VERY much faster speeds for importing songs into iTunes from a folder on the same drive as iTunes is installed on. 100's of songs potentially import PER MINUTE.

So do your own maths to figure that out.

You also need to be aware of what 'format' the songs are recorded in i.e. MP3, AAC, etc.

For clarification iTunes songs format (AAC) are, or were in the past NOT compatible with Windows Media Player default format (wma, I think)

and vice versa, so they would have to be converted from one format to the other if moving from one music app to the other.

A quick way to find if they are 'compatible' with iTunes already is (after dragging & dropping) try to play the song & see if it plays (or what song player opens & tries to play it). If 'quicktime' or itunes opens you are, or should be ok. If it does NOT the 'other app' may not play it either - or it might.

I don't know what format your songs are in or where they are from.

Using your own pc or mac is easy. Someone elses is much more difficult because it raises issues of 'which itunes or icloud account' is registered to the mac or pc itunes music library, and therefore 'whose music library' is then on YOUR device.

YOUR iOS device WILL have a different account name, if the Mac or PC belongs to someone else.

regards

Bob

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2017 6:11 PM in response to liversgh

Hi

Yes you can. but not directly...........

First thing to find out is what format the songs are:

MP3, AAC, WMA, etc

Then IF you have your own Mac or PC that has iTunes installed you can drag & drop those songs to the hard drive of said Mac or PC. Then put them into iTunes, then sync to your ios devices.

Otherwise you would have to 'borrow someone elses' Mac or PC (or get them to do it for you on their equipment) if you do NOT have such access.

So assuming you DO have some kind of authorised access to a Mac or PC, that has an up to date working version of iTunes installed.........

Find the 'storage media' that has the songs on it.

Insert this 'usb thumb drive' or 'usb smart card reader (with smart card ALREADY inserted)'.........

........into an unused usb port. An icon should appear on the 'desktop'.

Open the 'folder' or icon for your 'storage device'. Find the music. Drag & drop it 'onto the desktop'.

Do NOT delete the music from the 'external storage device' untill you at least have it on your iOS device first.

You could create a 'music' folder, if you don't have one already, to have somewhere to drag & drop the music to, rather than 'onto the desktop'.

Then open iTunes and go to the 'menu bar' at the top left of the iTunes app screen.

Here you should easily find an option to 'import' the music that is now 'on the desktop'.

You can import one song at a time or ALL of it. Time to import depends on how many songs you have. One four minute song - on a cd - imports into itunes in less than 20 seconds - usually.

So 'potentially' 180 (4 minute) songs per hour if importing from a disc that can hold 180 songs, and no management is required of song metadata during import. Reality is very different. Metadata will need to be added at some point if importing from places other than a cd, for proper management of this music wherever it is played from.

There are VERY much faster speeds for importing songs into iTunes from a folder on the same drive as iTunes is installed on. 100's of songs potentially import PER MINUTE.

So do your own maths to figure that out.

You also need to be aware of what 'format' the songs are recorded in i.e. MP3, AAC, etc.

For clarification iTunes songs format (AAC) are, or were in the past NOT compatible with Windows Media Player default format (wma, I think)

and vice versa, so they would have to be converted from one format to the other if moving from one music app to the other.

A quick way to find if they are 'compatible' with iTunes already is (after dragging & dropping) try to play the song & see if it plays (or what song player opens & tries to play it). If 'quicktime' or itunes opens you are, or should be ok. If it does NOT the 'other app' may not play it either - or it might.

I don't know what format your songs are in or where they are from.

Using your own pc or mac is easy. Someone elses is much more difficult because it raises issues of 'which itunes or icloud account' is registered to the mac or pc itunes music library, and therefore 'whose music library' is then on YOUR device.

YOUR iOS device WILL have a different account name, if the Mac or PC belongs to someone else.

regards

Bob

can i play music that i have saved on a sd card on my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.