Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a GTX 260 with my Mac Pro 1,1

​First time poster here, so I am sorry if I do not have all details needed!

I currently have a Nvidia 7300 gt in my Mac Pro 1,1 I am wondering If my BFG Nvidia gtx 260 will work with my Mac Pro? I am trying to upgrade it to 3,1 and was reading some forums on how to upgrade it to mountain lion and beyond. My main question is, will it work? Do I need to flash the card at all? Do I need any other upgrades? I have not attempted anything other than buying the PCIe power cables as it requires 2 6-pin PCIe cables

Thanks!

System:

Mac Pro 1,1

Dual processor, Dual Core Xeon 2.66ghz

10 GB ram

Nvidia 7300 GT

250 Gb 7200RPM Seagate

Graphics Card wanting to go into the system:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143155

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 6:32 PM

13 replies

Apr 15, 2017 7:40 PM in response to Hetrickaj

Hetrickaj wrote:

​First time poster here, so I am sorry if I do not have all details needed!

I currently have a Nvidia 7300 gt in my Mac Pro 1,1 I am wondering If my BFG Nvidia gtx 260 will work with my Mac Pro? I am trying to upgrade it to 3,1 and was reading some forums on how to upgrade it to mountain lion and beyond.

Are you also asking about converting your 1,1 to a 3,1 model?

I'm not sure that will work, what parts do you think need changing to make it work a s 3,1? I think you need a 3,1 logic board, cpu's, RAM & probably the power supply as a brody suggests.

The 1,1 can be made to run newer OS's via SFOTT, so I don't think you need to somehow Dr. Frankenstien parts from a 3,1 into it. I think you can go up to 10.11 on a 1,1 if you have a better GPU.

Look for a newer Mac Pro if you really need better graphics support.

May 2, 2017 1:21 AM in response to Drew Reece

Sorry i haven't been on this for a hot minute

the GTX 260 does work right out of the box, and it seems that the mac handles it just fine!

as for upgrading to a 3,1 I know i can upgrade the processors and the graphics and trick the firmware to think it is a 3,1 mac pro. i am going to give it a shot and upgrade the processors and get back to you guys.

May 2, 2017 6:01 PM in response to a brody

How do you get your "double that" statement? The specs on the page that OP notes above is 38A at 12V - that translates to 456W - if the numbers are correct. But other research seems to say this is way too high of an estimate. At http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1638/bfg_tech_geforce_gtx_260_ocx_graphics_card /index17.html they actually put a power meter on an entire PC computer with this card in it and it draws 269W under load and 177 in idle - for the entire computer. So given that actual measurement, how to determine how much of that is due to the GTX 260 card? I've no idea, but seems like it would be under the 225W max limit for a single PCI graphics card. Also see this comment about GTX260 card at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253576-33-nvidia-requirement

I've read that 6-pin PCI power connections are designed for 75W max, 8-pin for 150W max. Mac Pro has two 6-pin sockets for PCI power, or 150W max, to which you can add 75W from PCI bus, for a total of 225W for a single card using two 6-pin aux power connectors.

Good luck...

May 18, 2017 5:01 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hey Drew,

I am effectively trying to upgrade my Mac from 10.7.5 to 10.11, I saw online on multiple forums it is possible, but there are sooo many different ways to do it, one is saying to upgrade the graphics card, others are saying graphics card and processors, another is saying I need like 12gb of ram!

Effectively I am overall trying to upgrade the software to 10.11 to play with it and use other applications, I did buy recently a GTX 1050 that I have in my main windows system, but I can take it out and put it into the Mac Pro.

May 18, 2017 5:15 PM in response to Hetrickaj

Keep it simple. Upgrade the GPU. Install an OS via SFOTT see if 10.11 works OK.

Then you can start by changing CPU's if you really want to do so. Attempting to do CPU, GPU mod from Windows and EFI hacks to make a working 3.1 inside 1,1 hardware seems like too many moving parts to keep track of.

Go for it is you have the experience or confidence/ patience to pull it all off but I think slow & steady will give better results. To make it easiest get a Mac GPU suited to that model.

You can find fast windows GPU's & flash them but really what is the point? It is a 10 year old machine that will never perform as well as a new PC Flashed GPU's make troubleshooting startup more difficult, not what you want if the CPU's need to be debugged & calibrated etc.

May 18, 2017 7:30 PM in response to Hetrickaj

I have no idea what that graphics card is or if it is compatible with the Mac Pro. Sorry not my area of interest. You just need to avoid the original 7300 card & probably other original cards too, a Mac card will give you the ability to see startup screens.

There sees to be more info over at…

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-el-capit an.1890435/

If you don't want to read all those posts then the easiest answer is to find a Mac compatible GPU. I doubt you get any benefit installing the latest GPU's. Not even the last Mac Pro's model (cheesegrater style) can handle all the power of modern GPU's from what I can see.

Using a GTX 260 with my Mac Pro 1,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.