Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Device Verification Not there anymore

Recently my Apple TV (4th Gen) has started to ask me to verify my devices when I Airplay to it. I know there is a setting in Airplay that turns that on but mine has seemed to disappear and I can no longer turn Device Verification off. Makes it really annoying and only allows me to use Apple apps to airplay to my Apple TV. I use a third party app to watch movies with because it supports all video types but it won't work. Is this a bug on my system or a new apple security setting to prevent 3rd party apps?

Apple TV, tvOS 10.2, Device Verification Setting

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 6:43 PM

13 replies

Apr 11, 2017 10:35 AM in response to csbehel

This is really infuriating as for me the TV is woken in the night due to a device on the LAN looking for iTunes/Airplay services which causes a spec for Airplay banner to be displayed by AppleTV which wakes the TV.

I really cannot see why the device verification is needed by default - yes if some joker was using Airplay to show things you didn't want, but this will not be the case for the majority - it should be optional.

Apr 11, 2017 12:25 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Mine also turns on randomly, which also turns on the TV/Home theater system, but I'm not really sure why. I didn't assume it was related to this issues but I guess it could be. I don't know why else it'd turn on by itself when I'm in the other room. But I definitely agree device verification should be optional. I should be able to control my own security. Nobody can get on there that I don't want on there anyways so verifying my own devices doesn't make much sense.

Apr 12, 2017 3:39 AM in response to csbehel

Hi csbehel. Regarding random turn-on, Stremio and Airfoil running on computers, and the Android Plex app, are known to make these Airplay connections that wake up Apple TV. Programs running on WD NAS servers (iTunes, MediaServer) also do this. There may also be programs that attempt to locate UPnP servers on the network; Apple TV incorrectly responds to these connections.

Apr 12, 2017 6:45 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Oh ok! I didn't realize Apple TV had a VLC app available for download. This seemingly works great and actually has more options to stream things from anyways! So thank you very much! 😀

As to why my Apple TV turns on by itself, that goes over my head a little but I get the gist. As long as my Apple TV doesn't decide to randomly stream things I'll be ok lol.

Once again, thanks. Still don't know why Apple made things more complicated but I'm ok with this.

Apr 12, 2017 7:03 AM in response to csbehel

Hi csbehel. You're very welcome. Sorry about the over the head part. Simply, some 3rd-party code performs network scans looking for certain services (ports), and some of these connection attempts cause Apple TV to wake up, which was not the case before tvOS 10.2. This seems to be a mixture of bad code in the apps and inappropriate response by Apple TV.

Apr 22, 2017 8:50 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Seems far-fetched. Most TVs have auto-off, and if unauthorized parties streaming to unconfigured apple TVs was really a problem, either the end users would simply configure device verification on their end, or do what they should have been doing all along and secure their network.

Turning something on like this with no easy way to turn it off has NO utility to anyone other than Apple, and that is in the service of their bottom line.

Thank you so very much Apple, for reducing the functionality of a product I paid for AFTER I bought it 😉

Apple TV Device Verification Not there anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.