Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp iCloud backup stuck

I'm not sure if this is an issue with WhatsApp, iCloud/Apple, or a combination, so I'm contacting both parties.

The WhatsApp iCloud backup feature keeps getting stuck at a certain point (e.g. x MB out of the total MB to backup). At that point it will start saying backup paused and usually will also say that it's waiting for a Wi-Fi connection even though the Wi-Fi connection is fine (tested internet simultaneously), plus Wi-Fi is not required to backup anyway.

It only occurs while including videos in the backup, but I want to include videos in the backup.

This started happening sometime within the last few days; before that it was almost always fine.

After a dozen or so minutes, I check the backup section again and usually by then it says it's all backed-up; however I have my doubts as I notice a size discrepancy between the iCloud data for WhatsApp in iPhone settings, in which it is around 10MB smaller there, about the same point where the backup freezes. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a size discrepancy but I would like to be able to confirm that the backup is not incomplete, as this may result in issues trying to restore the data at a later date.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.1, WhatsApp 2.17.11. Thanks for any help.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 11, 2017 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 7:20 PM

I have tried the following from Whatsapp support team & it works well but now the problem is the backup shown in iCloud is less than the backup shown in Whatsapp :

1. 1) Open iPhone Settings> tap the username > iCloud > Manage Storage > WhatsApp Messenger > Delete Data.
  2. 2) Open iPhone Settings> tap the username > iCloud > switch the iCloud Drive off.
  3. 3) Launch WhatsApp.
  4. 4) Open iPhone Settings> tap the username > iCloud > switch the iCloud Drive on.
  5. 5) Create a new iCloud backup inside WhatsApp.
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 7:20 PM in response to Dolpre

I have tried the following from Whatsapp support team & it works well but now the problem is the backup shown in iCloud is less than the backup shown in Whatsapp :

1. 1) Open iPhone Settings> tap the username > iCloud > Manage Storage > WhatsApp Messenger > Delete Data.
  2. 2) Open iPhone Settings> tap the username > iCloud > switch the iCloud Drive off.
  3. 3) Launch WhatsApp.
  4. 4) Open iPhone Settings> tap the username > iCloud > switch the iCloud Drive on.
  5. 5) Create a new iCloud backup inside WhatsApp.

Apr 12, 2017 4:57 PM in response to Connor Hawke

On further attempts the text-only backup also gets stuck, at around the same percentage: 94%.

Still, it seems that Reset Network Settings, one of WhatsApp Support's suggestions, may have fixed it for now as the backup now seems to complete without getting stuck.

However there is still a size difference in the backup between these two locations, in which the former is roughly 10MB smaller:

iPhone -> Settings -> General -> Storage & iCloud Usage -> Manage Storage -> WhatsApp

WhatsApp -> Chats -> Chat Backup

Anyone know if this is supposed to be the case?

Dec 9, 2017 1:16 AM in response to mml13830

I have the same problem & I did the same, delete the data in iCloud & then go to WhatsApp & backup again... it did well but when I check from Setting > iCloud > manage data, there is nothing backup for my whatsapp...

I go to whatsapp to backup again & it stuck.

I have tried restarting WhatsApp & the phone. I have also tried to update both iOS & WhatsApp to latest available version.

I need help on this to transfer my WhatsApp data to my new iPhone 8.

Apr 16, 2017 4:49 PM in response to Connor Hawke

The Reset Network Settings trick only worked briefly, then it went back to its old ways. However, just now I disabled Wi-Fi Assist (at iPhone Settings -> Cellular) and the last backup seemed to complete normally. Am hoping this one sticks... In any case I'm checking with WhatsApp Support to confirm although I'll doubt they'll get back to me. They don't seem the most responsive.

WhatsApp iCloud backup stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.