Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone experienced their iwatch screen popping off?

While cooking and wearing my watch, the screen of my iwatch just suddenly popped off. It's only a year and a half old and not heavily used. I'll be taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I'm disappointed that this would happen at all.

Posted on Apr 11, 2017 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 12:08 AM

Hello,

Most of the time a display falls off of an Apple Watch, this is due to the device's battery swelling and pushing the display out of the enclosure. (NOTE: Your battery is designed to swell that way it does not explode/catch fire. If your battery is swelling, you are not in any danger of becoming harmed by the battery as long as you do not poke it with sharp metal objects.) Apple has recently extended the Limited Warranty on the device to 3 years for swollen battery related issues.

When you bring the device in, Apple will send the device to a repair facility in your local country where it will be replaced with a new device and either sent back to the store you took it into, or send it to your residence (which ever you prefer, you have the option to choose). Because removing the swollen battery from the device could create a safety issue for the technician removing the battery; all device's with swollen batteries are replaced rather than repaired.

As long as no signs of accidental damage are found inside the device (liquid/physical damage), the repair will be at no cost to you.

Hope this helps!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2017 12:08 AM in response to Thorsten Seinfeld

Hello,

Most of the time a display falls off of an Apple Watch, this is due to the device's battery swelling and pushing the display out of the enclosure. (NOTE: Your battery is designed to swell that way it does not explode/catch fire. If your battery is swelling, you are not in any danger of becoming harmed by the battery as long as you do not poke it with sharp metal objects.) Apple has recently extended the Limited Warranty on the device to 3 years for swollen battery related issues.

When you bring the device in, Apple will send the device to a repair facility in your local country where it will be replaced with a new device and either sent back to the store you took it into, or send it to your residence (which ever you prefer, you have the option to choose). Because removing the swollen battery from the device could create a safety issue for the technician removing the battery; all device's with swollen batteries are replaced rather than repaired.

As long as no signs of accidental damage are found inside the device (liquid/physical damage), the repair will be at no cost to you.

Hope this helps!

Jun 15, 2017 1:57 PM in response to trishthedish37

Mine did the exact same thing yesterday, I made an appointment for the "Geek Squad" at best buy as they are supporting apple. Best Buy tried to get me to just buy another watch, said my warranty had expired and I could get it replaced for 275 bucks, I paid close to 600 in October of 2015.

Getting back to work I used google and found I am not alone in this, further I found that Apple is extending the battery warranty to 3 years. As I read about the problems I found that the battery swelling up is causing the watch face to pop off, I looked under my watch screen and sure enough the battery was puffed up. I called Apple and they are sending me a box to ship it back to them for repair at no cost, a 600 dollar watch should last more than 20 months.

Aug 5, 2017 11:58 PM in response to trishthedish37

Same thing happened to my iwatch 2nd generation. I was wearing it and noticed the screen was dangling by a cord. I had not bumped it or knocked it either. I took it to the Genius bar and they could not figure it out, they sent it away and came back and claimed that I had dropped it. What a load of crap, it just popped out. They gave me the option of either having it repaired for $299 claiming warranty does not cover this type of damage. How they can justify $299 for a $2.00 piece of glass made in China is beyond me.

I explained to Apple that in my 46 years on this earth I have never had a watch face pop out. I also stressed that Apples marketing showed people doing lots of high impact sports, so the watch is promoted as a sport watch, but $20.00 Gshock was designed better and their are no forums on any watch faces popping off that I could find. I expected more from a watch at this price of $576.00. I also explained that I didn't care about their warranty, because Australian Consumer Law overrides any crappy warranty their lawyers want to scribble up to protect their business. I have now filed the matter at the small claims tribunal and will see them at the tribunal for a decision.

I really think it is so disappointing for Apple to treat their loyal customers this way. And for the record, I preferred my fitbit over my Apple Iwatch. I wish Apple computers were not so good, because after this experience with Apple I would never buy an Apple product from them again.

Has anyone experienced their iwatch screen popping off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.