Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Period/full stop.

Hi, Hope someone can help.

If I type a letter and press spacebar twice in succession it places a period/full stop immediately after the letter. I have searched for answers in Google which instructs me to settings> general> keyboards> shortcuts to turn off. Even after doing this I still get same problem.

As a musician this is quite frustrating, a when I am writing out songs, when I place a chord letter in, and space to next chord letter it places the period/stop which I don't want.

Can anyone help.

Ps also tried turning off predictive text, but this didn't help either

Many thanks

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Apr 12, 2017 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2017 5:38 AM

I tried this and it worked for me. I went to settings - general - keyboard and toggled off the short cut to enter a period when the spacebar is pressed twice. I then did not get the period when I tapped the spacebar twice. I wasn't clear when you said that you enter a chord letter and then space to enter the next chord letter you are getting the period. It sounds like you are pressing the spacebar twice at that point. Would a single tap work for you there?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2017 5:38 AM in response to iainwith2eyes

I tried this and it worked for me. I went to settings - general - keyboard and toggled off the short cut to enter a period when the spacebar is pressed twice. I then did not get the period when I tapped the spacebar twice. I wasn't clear when you said that you enter a chord letter and then space to enter the next chord letter you are getting the period. It sounds like you are pressing the spacebar twice at that point. Would a single tap work for you there?

Apr 12, 2017 5:49 AM in response to kb1951

Hi Kb1951.

As I explained in my original question, I have already went into the settings> general> keyboards and toggled off the shortcut button.

A chord letter is a musical notation for a guitar player. E.G

G D G C

A guitar player reads chords to a particular song as seen here.

G. D. G. C.

A guitar player reads chords to a particular song as seen here, this time typed with problem.

The period after the chord letter is not supposed to be there. It can be over come by hitting space bar once then pause them hit space bar again then pause them hit space bar. As other musicians will recognise this is a nuisance and slows typing progress for writing out a song.

Period/full stop.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.