Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't wake from sleep

My MacBook Pro, mid 2015 version, will not wake from sleep, if it has been asleep for a longer period of time, like overnight. OS 10.12.4, but it has been doing this since new. The keyboard and screen start to wake, sometimes show light, but the computer does not fully wake up. Have reset nvram and the smc several times. Apple support can't find the issue. This is the second computer, I returned the first one. Other than that the computer seems normal.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Apr 12, 2017 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2017 5:16 AM

You are not alone! I'm experiencing the same problem!

I have a base model MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2015. Occasionally, it doesn't wake from sleep when I open the lid. It shows the black screen with a backlight on. After about 10-20 seconds, the cursor appears, but the system does not respond. Sometimes it wakes up normally after being asleep for a full night and sometimes it cannot wake after only of 1 hour of sleep.

I have tried everything that I could: Resetting PRAM, SMC, reconnecting the battery, reinstalling the OS. I have tried all major versions: 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.4. All having the same issues. I have even tried installing the OS on an external SSD. Even from there it doesn't wake from sleep. The only thing I've noticed while working from external SSD for about three days is that my internal SSD 2-3 time disconnected by itself and OS was no longer recognising it until I've restarted my Mac. So I unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting and this problem has gone. But I was still unable to wake the Mac from sleep when I opened the lid. Apple Diagnostics does not report any problems.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2017 5:16 AM in response to ktnhog

You are not alone! I'm experiencing the same problem!

I have a base model MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2015. Occasionally, it doesn't wake from sleep when I open the lid. It shows the black screen with a backlight on. After about 10-20 seconds, the cursor appears, but the system does not respond. Sometimes it wakes up normally after being asleep for a full night and sometimes it cannot wake after only of 1 hour of sleep.

I have tried everything that I could: Resetting PRAM, SMC, reconnecting the battery, reinstalling the OS. I have tried all major versions: 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.4. All having the same issues. I have even tried installing the OS on an external SSD. Even from there it doesn't wake from sleep. The only thing I've noticed while working from external SSD for about three days is that my internal SSD 2-3 time disconnected by itself and OS was no longer recognising it until I've restarted my Mac. So I unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting and this problem has gone. But I was still unable to wake the Mac from sleep when I opened the lid. Apple Diagnostics does not report any problems.

May 7, 2017 8:04 AM in response to V1597psh

I have come to believe that there is an issue with this particular model of MBP. My work around is to do a shutdown overnight, whenever I think about it. Shorter periods of sleep generally work as advertised...

Whenever I have the problem, I just do the control/command and power button restart. Not an ideal, but it is relatively quick on this computer.

Jul 28, 2017 9:27 AM in response to ktnhog

I have a Mac Pro Early 2008 and have the same problem. My solution since there is no fix: Under "Energy Saver" in "System Preferences", set "computer sleep" to "never". When I'm finished using the computer, I then generally shut it down. The problem doesn't occur when I do this. Hope this helps someone as this has been a frustrating issue for me for many years until I tried the above.

Aug 22, 2017 1:06 PM in response to ktnhog

I have a 15" MacBook Pro mid-2015 that has had this issue since new. The factory installed OS was 10.11.6 but I updated it to 10.12.6 after I was able to resolve the wake from sleep issue. After trying everything mentioned in this thread - and many more power settings using Terminal - the problem remained. A while ago, I read that power nap might be the culprit. I disabled power nap and the MBP now wakes from sleep under all circumstances. Give it a try if you haven't already and see if it helps.

By the way, I have a Time Capsule and this MBP backs up to it automatically. I can't say for certain, but I think it might be part of the problem. I didn't test this because I am unwilling to disable Time Machine with the Time Capsule.

Hope some of these observations help.

Dec 12, 2017 4:41 AM in response to Rob RS125R

Rob RS125R wrote:

By the way, I have a Time Capsule and this MBP backs up to it automatically. I can't say for certain, but I think it might be part of the problem. I didn't test this because I am unwilling to disable Time Machine with the Time Capsule.

I am not using Time Machine and still experiencing the wake-from-sleep issues on this model.

MacBook Pro won't wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.