Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how delete apps permanently from apps store?

Posted on Apr 12, 2017 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2018 10:57 AM

The correct part of the answer is "you can't delete permanently" the rest of the answer is apple-apologist hogwash. Apple simply has chosen not to put the time into creating the function. There's no moral imperative that you "can't pretend that you didn't buy it" nor is there some sort of licensing scheme that forbids you from every deleting free apps. How Apple CHOOSES to track licensing is irrelevant to the posters question.

All that is needed is a button, a filter layer and a confirmation "are you sure you want to permanently remove this app from your purchased app list" and done. Apple might also NOT want to create a situation where people are calling tech support, asking to restore a purchase that they didn't mean to delete forever.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2018 10:57 AM in response to raayed

The correct part of the answer is "you can't delete permanently" the rest of the answer is apple-apologist hogwash. Apple simply has chosen not to put the time into creating the function. There's no moral imperative that you "can't pretend that you didn't buy it" nor is there some sort of licensing scheme that forbids you from every deleting free apps. How Apple CHOOSES to track licensing is irrelevant to the posters question.

All that is needed is a button, a filter layer and a confirmation "are you sure you want to permanently remove this app from your purchased app list" and done. Apple might also NOT want to create a situation where people are calling tech support, asking to restore a purchase that they didn't mean to delete forever.

Apr 12, 2017 9:13 PM in response to raayed

If the question is how to delete apps listed in your Purchased list, that cannot be done. You bouhgt the app, you can't pretend that you didn't buy it.

But you can hide apps from the list;

Hidden Apps -

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.12.4;  Watch, 38 mm silver AL, watchOS 3.2; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 7+, iOS 10.3.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 10.2;  Airport Express

Oct 9, 2017 2:56 PM in response to DKChiGail

DKChiGail wrote:

This is not a very helpful response to someone who is trying to delete apps. Most of the apps I have on my devices are games downloaded for my children. All are FREE. Can't believe Apple will not allow users to delete unused apps.

I understand you don't like the answer but it doesn't change its accuracy.

Here is the updated information on hiding and unhiding apps:

Hide and unhide iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store purchases - Apple Support

Here's the information on deleting apps from your device:

How to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Just like you can't log into your cell phone account and delete call records or into your credit card app and delete records of charges, you can't delete records of purchases in the iTunes Store. The fact that you paid 0.00 dollars doesn't change the fact that it was a business transaction between you and Apple.

You can submit feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Best of luck.

Jan 8, 2018 11:24 AM in response to WT21

WT21 wrote:

Apple simply has chosen not to put the time into creating the function.

That is absolutely correct. Let them know you'd like to see something different:

Product Feedback - Apple

Stating the facts as they are is not hogwash. I understand you don't like the way things are. I understand you'd probably prefer it if everyone else in the thread endorsed your view point unreservedly. But facts are still facts.

Oct 9, 2017 3:12 PM in response to DKChiGail

To add to my friend's reply, there is also the matter of the end user license. Even free apps require that you have a licensed copy of the app. The license is assigned to the Apple ID which is encoded into the app's DNA. The Purchased list has a two-fold function, it lists your purchases, free & paid and also lists all the apps which have been licensed to your Apple ID.

Jan 8, 2018 10:47 AM in response to Dah•veed

How can free apps be bought? Most people try a lot of free apps and then delete them if they are not good. Now there is so many free apps cluttering up the purchased apps list. If the app is free, then you never really bought the app. You just tried the app. Only apps that are really puchased with real money should be kept in the purchase history.

Google on the play store let users delete apps from their purchase history. When a user buys an app that costs money, google emails a receipt. These receipts are also kept on the users account.

Apple could fix this by not requiring a user to sign in when a user wants to download a free app.

Jan 8, 2018 12:21 PM in response to WT21

WT21 wrote:

" I understand you'd probably prefer it if everyone else in the thread endorsed your view point unreservedly."

I never said this, so don't try to attribute it to me. Don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't say that you said it. Don't put words in my mouth. It was an inference based on your post. That you branded facts as "hogwash" rather than simply accepting them and acknowledging that you don't like them and that you accused people who stated those facts of being "apologists" indicates that quite strongly to me. I doubt you would have been so derisive to someone who had said, "Yes! Apple is awful to do this!". You made if quite clear what you though of people who don't endorse your point of view.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.