Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change sound output to speakers when headphones are plugged?

When I plug in my headphones and click sound icon in menu bar Speakers disappear and the only available options are Headphones.

It means that I cannot change sound output to speakers when headphones are plugged in. This leads to the question...

How to change this behavior?

What kind of limitation is this?

Is there any 3rd party software that might get this done?

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 13, 2017 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2017 6:31 AM

Open system preferences > sound > Output check the box of show volume in the menu bar .

User uploaded file

When head phone is plugged click on the speaker icon .

User uploaded file

And can adjust the volume towards left or right to decrease and increase the sound by moving slider .

User uploaded file

10 replies

Apr 13, 2017 7:02 AM in response to ekiwok

It means that I cannot change sound output to speakers when headphones are plugged in.

That is correct.

As far as I know all Macs have always worked that way, all the way back to the original one.

Is there any 3rd party software that might get this done?

I doubt it, since the headphone port is controlled by hardware — specifically, a switch within the audio output port. Inserting anything in it (doesn't even have to be headphones) disconnects the internal speakers. If you want the ability to choose between internal speakers and an external sound output option, then use a USB headset. (edit: or BT as dialabrain suggests)

Given Apple's elimination of ports in general, I'm surprised the audio output port continues to exist.

How to change sound output to speakers when headphones are plugged?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.