Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I uninstall GarageBand?

I don't use GarageBand and never have. Can I simply uninstall it?

iMac - 21"

Posted on Apr 13, 2017 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2017 7:05 AM

Why do you want to uninstall it? Do you need to free storage?

Yes, you can uninstall it. Move the GarageBand.app from the Applications folder to the Trash.

Most of the storage needed by GarageBand is occupied by the Instrument Library, also by the Apple Loops. These items are shared with Logic Pro or MainStage however. Are you using one of these applications? Then keep the instruments and loops installed.

If not, you can also remove the folder /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/ from the /Library folder to uninstall the sound library, and the folder /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/

Some of the Loops may be used by iMovie as well, so you may want to keep them installed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2017 7:05 AM in response to Michael Butcher

Why do you want to uninstall it? Do you need to free storage?

Yes, you can uninstall it. Move the GarageBand.app from the Applications folder to the Trash.

Most of the storage needed by GarageBand is occupied by the Instrument Library, also by the Apple Loops. These items are shared with Logic Pro or MainStage however. Are you using one of these applications? Then keep the instruments and loops installed.

If not, you can also remove the folder /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/ from the /Library folder to uninstall the sound library, and the folder /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/

Some of the Loops may be used by iMovie as well, so you may want to keep them installed.

Can I uninstall GarageBand?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.