Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login/FileVault issue?

Hi, my 2016 15" MacBook Pro was in the middle of encrypting its drive with FileVault then it restarted. When I put in my password it immediately restarts and will do this every time I put in my password. I have attempted to login through safe mode with no success. I reset the pram with no effect. I also cannot reinstall the OS because it says a conversion is in progress and I need to check the security and privacy to fix it. I can't do that because of the login problem. I know the conversion is paused because I checked it in terminal.

Is there a way to stop FileVault conversion? is there a way to resume it? Am I out of luck? Or is there something else I should try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Apr 15, 2017 12:05 AM

2 replies

Apr 15, 2017 1:46 PM in response to clg3

As far as stopping it --

Sounds that you already know how to get to Terminal in Recovery - Boot into Recovery: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support (you're not reinstalling).

Open Terminal from the Utilities menu (old image just to illustrate):

User uploaded file

To check status: fdesetup status

To disable: sudo fdesetup disableUser uploaded file

The sudo command will ask for your credentials. Key them in, they won't appear in the panel; enter. Each command starts at the first letter, no space, and ends at the final letter. Otherwise, maintain the spacing.

Apr 15, 2017 12:53 AM in response to clg3

As per this article : macOS Sierra: Encrypt the contents of your Mac with FileVault

Note: If you see an alert message that encryption has been paused, your Mac may have detected a problem that could keep the encryption from completing successfully. For example, if your portable computer is not plugged into an electrical outlet, the encryption process may pause until the power plug is connected.

Can't login/FileVault issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.