Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making a bootable windows 10 usb with bootcamp on Sierra

Is there a way to make a bootable windows 10 usb with bootcamp on Sierra? The option for a usb appears to have gone with Sierra.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, 10.12.4

Posted on Apr 15, 2017 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2017 7:38 AM

No, in those directions (like on the directions everywhere I've looked) it shows Boot Camp Assistant opening with a dialog that has a checkbox for choosing the installation type. At least in my installation of OSX 10.12.4 with Boot Camp Assistant 6.1.0, the opening screen looks like this:

User uploaded file

and pressing Continue takes you to this screen

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2017 7:38 AM in response to dialabrain

No, in those directions (like on the directions everywhere I've looked) it shows Boot Camp Assistant opening with a dialog that has a checkbox for choosing the installation type. At least in my installation of OSX 10.12.4 with Boot Camp Assistant 6.1.0, the opening screen looks like this:

User uploaded file

and pressing Continue takes you to this screen

User uploaded file

Jun 26, 2017 4:02 AM in response to Ijuk

If you want to install Windows 10 on to a Mac to use via Boot Camp then using the Boot Camp Assistant is the best option. Some newer Macs can do this without needing any external boot drive e.g. USB stick and purely by copying the ISO in to the Windows partition it creates. See Boot Camp for Mac: Install Windows on your Mac without using a USB hard drive or flash drive

If your Mac does not support this new feature it should offer the option to create a USB install drive which needs to be a USB2 drive of 8GB or greater in size.

If however you want to create a bootable Windows USB installer for use on a real PC not a Mac then Boot Camp Assistant is not suitable. In this case you maybe able to do this using the free Unetbootin tool. See UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

This tool is mainly for creating Linux install drives but apparently can also be used with a Windows 10 ISO image to make a Windows 10 install drive. See http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without- bootcamp/

Not all PCs support booting from USB and some may need their BIOS settings adjusted to enable this. Potentially you could burn the Windows 10 ISO to a DVD disc and boot that on the real PC.

Making a bootable windows 10 usb with bootcamp on Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.