Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple TV slow down my internet.

Hey,

Just bought new Apple TV 4th.

I've a good internet connection in my home (speed test - 60-70Mb/s download)

Since I've set up my new Apple TV its reduce my internet speed extremely and making it hard to use (even if it just turned on in background).

I wanted to know if its make sense that the my new Apple TV using so much internet?

In use of Apple TV (even only Apple Music) my speed test is - 6-10Mb/s and if its just work in the background and do nothing its about 15-20Mb/s.

And If there is more users on the Wi-Fi its making it impossible (1-2Mb/s)

The Wifi its really near to the Apple Tv but its very hard to connect it with ethernet cable (how important and helpful its to make a big change and connect the Apple TV directly to the router?)

I'm thinking about buy AirPort Time Capsule cause maybe my router is the problem but its big expense for fix a problem that I created by buying the Apple Tv. (Can it be good solution? I have very basic router right now)

Also - cause the effect of slowing the internet the airplay working not so smooth.

And if I try to stream live movie from my computer - that should be a miracle with will work without problems.

BTW - I would like to have good tips for new user for Apple TV, good apps and sources for great live media and other cool stuff.

And why can't I have Kodi or Safari (or any web browser) ?

Thanks for any help to resolve my problem.

Apple TV, tvOS 10.2

Posted on Apr 15, 2017 4:44 AM

13 replies

Apr 15, 2017 11:30 AM in response to Csound1

My AppleTV is located in the living room (near to to TV) and the router is just in the opposite wall where I have the only option to connect it to internet.

To connect the appleTV to the router I need to cross the living room with the cable (obviously not a good solution)

Or I need to stick it to the wall all across the living room (about 8-10 meters cable even the distance is only 3 meters directly between the walls)

Apr 26, 2017 10:02 AM in response to NaorAbu

You could try investing in some mains powerline network adapters which worked extremely well for me for many years and use the mins wiring to transmit data from one pint to the other (1 at router 1 near AppleTV) - I've subsequently had ethernet cable laid in many rooms and it's better still but not the sort of thing you can do casually and I understand you might be concerned by cable crossing the room being a trip hazard.

Apr 26, 2017 10:07 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Probably this is going to be my soultion. after trying figure it out in many ways I find out that the only way to make it work good enough for smooth use is by cables.

I will spend some money for new network socket near to the apple TV with hope it will solve the problem permanently.

Thank you and everyone who suggest me a solution.

New Apple TV slow down my internet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.