Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Virus

I was recently browsing on safari, I was watching a short video on a completely reputable website that I thought I could trust.

Suddenly, I had a pop up, the pop up said "update your android or iPhone launcher now, if you don't update, your phone will automatically lock in 24 hours".

Could anybody tell me if this is authentic, because the website was reputable and I feel like it would be incredibly unlikely for them to have such viruses floating around.

What steps should I take to remove this virus, I have an earlier backup, before I became infected. Should I restore from one of those, I have photographs of past relatives that are extremely important to me, I just want to keep them safe.

I appreciate replies

Thank You!

Posted on Apr 15, 2017 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2017 12:23 PM

It isn't a virus, it is a browser hijack and it can happen on reputable sites. Double-click your home button, find Safari and slide up to remove it from the recently used list. The Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.

There is no virus on your phone.

9 replies

Apr 15, 2017 12:27 PM in response to Community User

Apple does not alert you of viruses, malware, or other system risks. In fact, the iOS on an iPhone is very secure and unless you have jail broken the device, you will not get a virus.

What you see is adware, and was likely triggered by visiting a website that has some kind of coding to throw a pop-up at you. This is intended to generate revenue for someone either by the ad popping up in the first place, or by scaring you into doing calling a provided number and paying for support.

You can get rid of the message by force closing safari (double tap the home button, then swipe Safari off your screen) and clearing its history and caches (under Settings > Safari > Clear history and website data).

Also, be mindful of the sites you visit.

Hope that helps!

Aug 10, 2017 6:07 AM in response to Miss Smartie Partie

I followed your instructions, although when I attempt to browse the internet using safari, I'm given a message, the message is "A problem occurred with this website, so it was reloaded" how are you certain that this isn't a virus? I appreciate the replies.

Aug 10, 2017 6:07 AM in response to deggie

I followed your instructions, although when I attempt to browse the internet using safari, I'm given a message, the message is "A problem occurred with this website, so it was reloaded" how are you certain that this isn't a virus? I appreciate the replies.

Apr 15, 2017 12:58 PM in response to Community User

iPhones don't get viruses, that's how I know. The iOS software is super secure. Unless you've jailbroken tge iPhone, and subsequently removed the built-in protections Apple codes into the software, you most certainly do not have a virus.

Plus, the message you're receiving now is a common error if a website has trouble loading. Restart your iPhone and double check your network connections if sites are having trouble, then try again.

iPhone Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.